CHANGING A PLASTIC SOCKET/LIGHT SWITCH TO CHROME

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About to attepmt my first electric project.
Curently have platic light switchs and sockets and wanting ot chnage to Chrome. It says in the instructions leaflet that the Chrome faces have to be earthed. When I unscrew originaly platic units ther is an gren/yellow earth wire attatched into the metal box in the wall(very technical) shud this sufice as socket being earthed and now just a case of rewiring, live and neutral into the actual new socket?

Thanks for help

James

Sponsored Links
Sorry but what are you on about please describe yourself better because not everyone understandsa text talk

there is the odd misspelling or contraction but i'd hardly call his post text talk

for the switches you should move the incoming earth wire from the terminal in the box to the earth terminal on the switch. It is considered good practice to also put a link to the box earth terminal but this is only required in the unusual situation where neither box lug is fixed.

for the sockets the earths should already be connected to the earth terminals on the sockets themselves so its just a matter of moving the wiring to the new socket.

Thanks Plugwash.

Your information was of great help. I tend to type too quickly sometimes
hence the bad post, plus as English is not my first language I try my best.

Thanks for the info again.

J

Sponsored Links
Are the sockets you are fitting the same shape as the plastic ones you took off? If they are flat plate type you may have difficulty getting them into the old 25mm boxes, they really need 32mm boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back