chrome light fitting light switch do u need to earth front plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've been replacing my white sockets and switches to chrome I've done a few of the double sockets, however when attempting the light switches the switches are earthed to the back box but do I need to do the front plate aswell!? there is a designated earth connection on the front plate but I was hoping I could go with out as the screw connecting the back box should earth it anyway is that correct? I don't really know how I would earth it to be honest. Any help is much appreciated photographs attached are current light switch
20151207_115148.jpg
20151207_115148.jpg
20151207_184845.jpg
wiring and new chrome

Attachments

• 20151207_115912.jpg
    20151207_115912.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 636
  • 20151207_115912.jpg
    20151207_115912.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
The switch has an earth terminal so I'd earth it, a short length of green & yellow cable from the earth terminal on the switch to the earth terminal on the back box is all you need.

Thought as much was hoping to get away with it. Can I just buy a piece like that from screw fix or ebay an some wire cutters I assume. Would that just then go in to the back box aswell as the piece that's already in there and then to the front plate. As you can guess I am a complete novice so any help I'm really greatful

Sponsored Links
That's 10mm cable which would be wayyy too big to fit into the light switch terminals.

You don't need to buy any special cable, just use an offcut of the earth wire from twin&earth cable and some green/yellow sleeving.

I don't think you would be able to get 10mm into the terminal on the switch. It seems rather more than is needed. You asked about Screwfix and I'd use their ref 35170 sheath over a scrap of suitable cable. (I am prepared to be told this is wrong but it works for me and the wire is clearly identified)

Haha apologies how about 4mm it's only 1.48 on ebay for a meter an that will do the house I would imagine

Still no, you need 1mm² or at most, 1.5mm²

If you've got an old extension lead or something (with three core flex) just chop that up. Or get down to any electrical wholesalers and buy a cut metre of flex/twin and earth and a bit of sleeving.

Cheers flameport will pick that up in the morning thanks for everyone's help much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back