Changing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question on a radiator i wish to swap out for a bigger one. Out CH system is new, its a year old house, so uses the plastic push fit pipes etc. Just wanted to make sure my plans are right -

Turn off boiler first - do i also need to turn the water off as well or anything else? Its a combi boiler.

Close the valves off and remove radiator.

Install new radiator and open valves back up.

Now will i need to bleed the system after this or is simply repressurising enough - this is where i'm a bit lost to be honest.

Cheers, Guy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
hi, its 20cm wider and a double radiator, rather than a small single. I've had a measure up and the piping has enough play to match up to the new size.

My major worries are over re-pressurising the system after i swap them over, as i'm not sure its as simple as it sounds.

Cheers, G

If your CH system is open vented, you will need to either drain the system, which will involve turning off the cold water mains feed to the F & E tank in the loft, or you could 'bung the tank' but that is a more advanced operation and less advisable if the rad you want to change is on a floor level above another room or someone else's flat!

If you choose to drain the system you would need to drain it to a point as low as the pipes running horizontally under the rad you wish to change. If you choose to turn off the radiator valves of the other radiators to avoid draining and refilling them, there is a risk that one of the valves will 'let by' causing a dribble of water even after you think the pipes are drained. Or these valves start to leak once touched. If you drain all the rads you will need to open the bleed vents on all the rads, and rarely but sometimes the heads of the bleed screws are rounded and won't undo.

If you try and do it by just turning off the valves on the rad you want to change, assuming these valves turn off and on reliably, you still have to get the water out of that radiator. If there is enough free play on the pipes you can separate the valve from the valve tail that is screwed into the rad far enough to get a controlled stream of water into a tray, keeping a larger bucket on hand to empty the tray into . Often the water just dribbles down the valves, down the pipes and into the ceiling downstairs. You should tie a tea towel in a tight know around the bottom of the pipes and have lods more tiles there to catch stray water. An aquavac is also handy. If you are quick and strong you could loosen valves from tails on both sides simoultaneously and lift the rad off the brackets and turn it upside down before too much water has ****ed out onto the floor.

Once you have done that, you either have to find a radiator the same length, transfer the valve tails to the new rad using a special tool, or fit new tails that are the same size as the ones for the existing valves. There is a little adjustment in length between pipes can be made by the amount you screw in the valve tails, but not much.

If the new rad is a different length, you will need to re pipe, preferably from below floor level to make a neat job. If there is too much water in the pipes to allow soldering, you can use a push fit. With a de-pressurised sealed system, or a bunged tank, an experienced plumber can chop the pipes and attach push fits very quickly, remembering to clean the pipe before cutting.

And then there is the issue of the wall - bracket positioning for the new rad may well be different from the old, If it's a stud wall then you may need to run a baton or ply between studs to support brackets, whose positions are defined by the pipes if you are not moving the pipes...blah blah blah my point is that it is unlikely to be a blue sky scenario!!

Are you changing the radiator because of an extension or because the room is a little chilly? If the radiator does not have a TRV and is controlled by a nearby room thermostat, you could make other rooms colder.

Thanks Axel and AJ Rob

Its not fed from a tank in the loft, so i assume its the cold water feed? Will what you've said apply then Axel?

Also its a bigger radiator because the room is too cold, but there is only one thermostat, in the hall downstairs. The radiator i'm changing is upstairs in the bedroom. Its far too small for the size of the room, so isnt making a dent on the current temps!

It won't be connected directly to the cold mains, but will have been pressurised from that via a filling loop which is either internal or external to the boiler. You will need to depressurise first. Don't crack open more than one pipe / valve at a time.

Axel,

yes its got the filing loop as you say, its part of the underneath of the boiler.

Ok, so i know to open the loop to add pressure to the system - so how do i loose the pressure? yes only planning to do the one radiator.

Ta, Guy

If you can't find a drain cock, which might be on the pipework under a radiator or on a pipe sticking out of an outside wall, the safest method to depressurise is with a bowl and a bucket held under the bleed screw - a slow method but less water spillage than cracking open a valve connection.

Don't be tempted to discharge the pressure via the PRV on the boiler - these are known to let by after being manually operated.

ok thanks, i'll have a look to see what the drain cock situation is to know how to proceed. once i've changed the radiator, so i simply repressurise by opening the loop valve on the boiler?

I usually remove radiators when decorating. I just shut the valves and open the bleed valve then disconnect a valve from one end with a couple of roasting tins, cloths, towels and a bucket.

You momentarily open both loop valves, then close them when the pressure gauge reads just over 1 bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back