Changing a Rear Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If anyone knows a rough answer to this I would be grateful.

I'm currently looking at buying a house, this house has had an extension but it's a cheap one. I was wondering if a double story extension to the rear of a house can be adjusted.

The issue is the original rear wall of the house (a supporting wall) wasn't removed for a joist to be added so the original rear wall is now in the middle of the living room and bedroom. The current owner just had 2 archways on the ground and 1st floor cut into the supporting wall, which leads into the double story extension.

Is it possible to now add a joist on both floors and remove the original rear wall? or is it not worth the effort and cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you need a goal post system installed. This is fairly structural and may impact services etc. I suspect this was considered as part of the original scope, but ruled out on cost. What sort of sizes are we talking (span). it will be very disruptive as it usually need to sit on concrete pads which require the floor to be excavated.

Not really cost effective on a completed build.

thanks for the reply, the lounge is about 16ft wide, I've added some pics, the house is in a state but it could polish up.

Attachments

• bedroom_01.jpg
    bedroom_01.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 104
  • lounge_v001.jpg
    lounge_v001.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 100
  • rear_01.jpg
    rear_01.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 97
You problems will be planning policies, not the technicalities of building. If its a deal breaker, then you need to get advice on that before making the offer.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

If anyone knows a rough answer to this I would be grateful.

I'm currently looking at buying a house, this house has had an extension but it's a cheap one. I was wondering if a double story extension to the rear of a house can be adjusted.

The issue is the original rear wall of the house (a supporting wall) wasn't removed for a joist to be added so the original rear wall is now in the middle of the living room and bedroom. The current owner just had 2 archways on the ground and 1st floor cut into the supporting wall, which leads into the double story extension.

Is it possible to now add a joist on both floors and remove the original rear wall? or is it not worth the effort and cost?

Thanks

Certainly doable, cost might be £5k

awful extension!

Thanks for the input everyone, yes the whole house is badly finished from top to bottom. However it has a lot of potential if the price is correct and we can get planning permission if needed. However we are first time buyers and although I have experience in decorating I have know idea about extensions or how to factor this kind of thing in when bidding on a property.

Thanks again

16ft is not so bad and as long as you don't mind it visible rather than flush with the ceiling, it wont cost too much.

I'd want a good look at those flat roofs for signs of wear and water ingress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back