1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

changing a single light switch to a double

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by lee1977, 13 Oct 2008.

1. lee1977

lee1977

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have fitted a outside security light and wish to link it to my single light switch, I have bought a double switch cover and when i have gone to wire it in I have found that I have 1 red wire going to L2 and 2 red wires wound together into the common with no earth. How do I wire this so that I have the two switches working independently?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You cannot do it like that.

Firstly you need an earth and also you need a neutral - you do not have either at the switch.
    You'll need to pick up a supply at a nearby light and run a switch cable to your switch from there.

Look at the info here: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47491#47491

The first item shows you how its done.

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local