Changing Boiler Timer - Is this safe - Pics included?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Baxi 105HE boiler with a Diehl 884 Type 1K Timer.

It would appear that the timer is broken as the CH will not come on regardless of the setting on the timer. The boiler is working fine and providing hot water on demand.

I have now acquired a new timer (Grasslin) and wish to swap one for the other.

I have unplugged the boiler from the mains completely. The boiler clock is still on but I presume this is battery powered as all the lights on the boiler are off?

Please see the pics below?

dsc00716rtz.jpg

dsc00717i.jpg

Is it safe for me to connect 1 (brown) and 2 (blue) from the Diehl to pins 1 and 2 on the Grasslin and pins 3 & 5 from the Diehl to pins 3 & 5 on the Grasslin?

Am I at risk of electrocution or screwing up my boiler by doing this?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
looks fine too me. The Grasslin is supplied with Baxis anyway. Just remember to switch of the power first!!

presume this is battery powered
NEVER presume with electricity. If you dont have the equipment and/or knowhow to check electrical isolation get a pro in.

presume this is battery powered
NEVER presume with electricity. If you dont have the equipment and/or knowhow to check electrical isolation get a pro in.

I appreciate the concern, but if I have physically removed the boiler plug from the wall socket, is there anything else that could possibly be powering it?

Sponsored Links
I have, on more than one occassion, come across boilers/systems being supplied by 2 plugs.

I have, on more than one occassion, come across boilers/systems being supplied by 2 plugs.

To give you a bit more background, all the electrics were replaced and brought up to std when we moved into the house last yr.

The plumber asked me specifically to have a socket next to the location that the new boiler would be installed, so I am 99.9% confident it's only powered by one plug.

Perhaps I would be better off powering down the mains in the house before attemping anything to be 100% safe?

Well I powered off the mains and swapped it over - all works fine except the on position on the Grasslin switches the CH off and the off position switches the CH on.

I guess I need to swap wires 3 and 5 over?

Paul

Doesnt matter which way they go to make the circuit but the drawings on the back of the clocks have different normally opened/ normally closed connections.
:D

Those crimped connectors should really be insulated ones.

Hiya,

I want to connect a new Diehl 884 timer to my boiler. Currently there is a analogue Grasslin, but the wires are connected to 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Where as on the Diehl, it's only 1 , 2 , 3 , 5

Will this work or not do you think? It looks like the wiring diagrams on the back are different to so I guess I have answered my own question?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back