changing brake pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello im new to this, :)) hope you can help me i have never done this before could you please tell me how easy it is to change my brake pads on my ford fiesta its a 1997model 1242 engine size. never worked on a car before so hope someone can help me out. thanks alot. :) :) neil

Sponsored Links
i've replaced them on an older fiesta 95 i think and all is pretty standard apart from ford calipers being held in with hex or star bolts, so a standard socket set will not remove the caliper bolts. it maybe different on your model, but worth checking first. you can pick up a set of these relatively cheaply.

also make sure you have a threaded clamp, much easier to push the pistons back with, although you can use a piece of wood and push it back yourself.

don't forget to take the top of the fluid reservior too before you try to move the pistons, thats about it, make sure you allow the pads to bed in, i.e use them gingerly for the first 200 miles and use the gears more to slow down, try to avoid harsh braking, this will vastly improve the life of the pads.

one other thing, applying a bit of copper grease to the back of the pads, should stop any squeal, and make sure you replace and pins / shims with new ones.

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind they're the thing that stops you, so get someone who has done it before or knows about cars to look over your shoulder.
Simple job, but get it wrong and...........

Back