Changing ceiling switch old electrics with a new switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have had to change our 50 amp ceiling switch. The problem is this... I have had to buy a new switch from B&Q and the wiring we have is old. Does anyone know which wires got to the load and supply. The switch controls a fan in the bathroom.
I have 7 count them 7 wires...2 red, 1blue, 1black, 1 yellow and 2wires no sleeves that were going into the old earth sockets..

Can anyone help please before I blow the house up...lol?

Sponsored Links
Take a photo of the old switch, with the wiring still attached, and post it on here.

See "Forum Information" for details on how to post your pictures.

Sounds like you have a 3 core n earth -old colours -red yellow, blue.

And then a twin n earth, old colours - red n black.

The bare copper, should ave a green and yellow sleeving on it.

Can you see the grey sheath at all to see which red goes with which cable colour group? One will go to fan (load) the other to supply (likely your bathroom light.)

Sounds like you are a novice and I'd recommend an electrician to identify the load wires for you.

Sponsored Links
Is the unit you are replacing a fan isolator or fused connection unit or just a switch. Is the 50A typo, did you mean 5A?

I am thinking this could be redundant shower switch (50A) - Red and black with 3c+e (RBY) to the fan - possibly not through a 3A fuse.

The OP didn't say it also operated the light.

He doesn't seem to be returning, anyway.

I am thinking this could be redundant shower switch (50A) - Red and black with 3c+e (RBY) to the fan - possibly not through a 3A fuse.
I am thinking this could be a non-redundant shower switch (50A) - Red and black with 3c+e (RBY) to the fan - possibly not through a 3A fuse.

The OP didn't say it also operated the light.
The OP didn't say it also operated the shower.

He doesn't seem to be returning, anyway.
It's only been a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back