replacing ceiling pendant switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE OLD CEILING SWITCH (2 WAY) WITH A NEW ONE, THE HOUSE IS STILL ON OLD TYPE WIRING, I HAVE A RED
WIRE, A BLACK WIRE & EITHER GREEN OR YELLOW (NOT SURE WHICH)
THE OLD SWITCH POSITIONS ARE NOT MARKED (COM,L1,L2) THE SWITCH IS AN OLD MK BROWN TYPE.
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO WIRE THE NEW SWITCH

Sponsored Links
On the new switch, connect

Red to com
Black to L1
Green/Yellow to all metal parts which will be exposed when the switch is screwed together (if none, put it into oneside of a terminal block)

1) Strictly speaking the black wire should have red sleeving on it

2) What is "old type wiring"? How old?

3) PLEASE STOP SHOUTING!!

you say its 2 way

do you mean a 2 way switch being used as the only switch

or do you mean that there was actually 2 way switching

if the latter it looks like the earth wire has been used as a live conductor

Sponsored Links
I wondered about the 2-way, and nearly commented that although it was a 2-way switch it wasn't being used a such, and a 1-way would have done for the replacement, but then I thought what's the point, as he's already bought the new switch.

Didn't occur to me that he might be using the cpc as a phase.

If so this would be a Very Bad Thing[TM]

A) I don't think the wiring can be very old? He has got an earth in the lighting circuit, I would have thought that would make it pretty recent (please correct me if I am wrong)

B) Hadn't considered that he might have used cpc as phase, it seems such a daft thing to do, that i'd doubt anyone would do it, I just assummed (yes, i know, bad thing to do) that it was just wired with a one way switch, but he had purchased a two way one

plugwash said:
you say its 2 way

do you mean a 2 way switch being used as the only switch

or do you mean that there was actually 2 way switching

if the latter it looks like the earth wire has been used as a live conductor

there is actual 2 way switching in room, all three wires go into original
switch. no earth as far as i can tell

ban-all-sheds said:
1) Strictly speaking the black wire should have red sleeving on it

2) What is "old type wiring"? How old?

The house is pre 1900 & upstairs wiring is original as far as i know
(rubber cable with red, black & other colour, wires are twisted)

ban-all-sheds said:
I wondered about the 2-way, and nearly commented that although it was a 2-way switch it wasn't being used a such, and a 1-way would have done for the replacement, but then I thought what's the point, as he's already bought the new switch.

Didn't occur to me that he might be using the cpc as a phase.

There are two switches in room for one light therefore a 2 way switch is
required, what do you mean by a cpc or phase?

For a start, if the house has original wireing from 1900, then you MUST get it rewired,

CPC = Circuit Protective conductor = Earth
Phase = The 'live' connection, as opposed to CPC or neutral

You say that:

A) Its two way switching
B) of the three wires one is green

That means that the CPC is being used incorrectly. The wiring of the time around 1900 was lead covered, this lead was used as the CPC, I would guess that someone has converted the light to two way switching about 30 years or so ago and used flex as opposed to cable (which will have three insulated conducters, coloured red, black and green)

I will not tell you how to do it, except to tell you that what I told you earlier was wrong (I did not realise the age of the wireing in your house),

Get an electrician to come and inspect the wiring, I am pretty sure your house will need re-wireing (it certainly will if its as old as you say it is)

Ban, I'm not being funny, mate, but there may be people who view this site who will not be amused at your use of the initials TM after one of your "phrases". If you have registered the saying with the Patent Office, paid the required fee (£200.00) and it has been accepted as a trade mark, then you are allowed to use these initials. If not, it is an offence.

It may be that some other company somewhere in the world has registered this as a trade mark - you never know! - in which case you would be on sticky ground, using it and the TM initials after it without permission from either the owner of the tm or the Patent Office.

I know all this as I have recently registered my logo as a trade mark.

I'm not trying to be awkward, just don't want you to land yourself in the mire.

Thanks for that Good Advice[TM], but I think I'll take my chances.
wine.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back