2 way 1 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had to replace the light switch in my kitchen and have discovered that it's a 2 way switch but there are no other switches in the kitchen. The switch itself was very old and had the wiring as follows-

looking at the wiring side of old switch red is at the top, yellow at bottom left and blue at bottom right. There are no markings on the old switch for com, L1 and L2.

I have replaced the 2 way switch with a new one and have wired it the same way red at top (com) yellow bottom left L2 and blue bottom right (L1).
First of all does anyone know why a 2 way switch would be installed when that's the only switch in that room and also have I wired up the new switch correctly?

Sponsored Links
Yes you have wired it correctly, but you may need to swap the yellow and blue around if you find the switch is operating upside down.

The most likely cause of you dilemma is that there was another switch but someone has removed it and terminated the cable in a terminal block.

This is not good practice and if you can find where the other switch is, it should be covered by a blanking plate so that the connections are available for inspection.

Thanks very much for your advice Qedelec, the switch was operating upside down and and I have now swapped the blue and yellow wires over. As for the covering plate for the redundant wire, this does not exist and i have know idea where the wire may be.

Many thanks, it's much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
my grandad's kitchen lights are on a 2-way switch, didn't find where the other switch used to be until he replaced the kitchen. There used to be a door leading to the dining room, now a serving hatch, it was next to this, connections just hidden behind the cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back