changing consumer unit......???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. My dads CU needs could do with being changed. All fuses with no spares for extra circuit or extensions.

What CU do you recommend? Split loads RCD protected?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could ask the spark who will be installing it. Although generally they would supply all the parts necessary anyway so it would be easier just to let them sort it.

Normally a choice between dual RCD's or a split load board with some RCBO's about the place.

You need to ask the electrician who will be installing it.

There are far too many variables which influence the choice of CU most apropriate to an installation, and without knowing even the most basic information about your fathers installation it really is impossible for anyone here to say.

Sponsored Links
hi. My dads CU needs could do with being changed. All fuses with no spares for extra circuit or extensions.

What CU do you recommend? Split loads RCD protected?

Thanks

Is he considering change simply due to needing extra capacity, or because of ageing, or because of ???

Favourite config for 17th will be a clean sweep of RCBO's at £35 per circuit on a straight board.
Then there's dual rcd boards, or dual rcd with a direct rail for RCBO's.

If you imagine a car with a failed MOT due to body rot, then changing the engine does sfa- it will still fail the MOT.

Same with a CU change, it adds nothing is the wiring (the body) is shot. A PIR will indicate the existing condition of the system and point you in a sensible, correct direction for update.

basically he want extra capacity to:

1) Get power to a shed
2) New en-suit
3) Aging ( would like MCB's instead of fuses)

I was thinks on a Split RCD 80A 30 mA

I actually was originally asking what type (make of CU) do you reccommend.

Sorry for the confusion but do appreciate all your replies.

Thanks

Wylex, and hager good value.
mk and mem slightly dearer.
Best to look at the cost of the mcb's rcbo's as that's what bumps the cost up.

so besides a new socket you want to install..

1. a new CU
2. a feed to a shed
3. wiring to a new bathroom

all of which are notifiable under Part P of the building regulations, so you might be cheaper getting a sparky in..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back