Changing diverter valve on Ariston Microgenus 28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am part way through changing the diverter valve on my boiler and have come up against a problem.

I have removed the majority of connections and nuts but there is a small copper pipe than runs in to the valve from the back and I cannot see how it is secured. The pipe appears to be secured by a spring clip that fits over the valve, but after removing that clip, I still cannot get the pipe out of the valve.

I am referring to the pipe that runs behind the secondary exchanger.

Can somebody please let me know if I should just give it a shove or is there something else securing it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They usually need to be levered out but that can be difficult to do without damaging the pipe.

Its often needed to get one end out and then rotate the pipe whilst levering it out.

If you bend it then it will not reseal.

Its the bypass pipe.

Whatever you imagine is the problem I am certain its not necessary to replace the whole unit!

Tony

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a related issue. I've got the pipe out, replaced the bits in the valve, but cant get the spring clip to hold the pipe in place. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you

That's usually because it has not been fully pushed into the socket.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'm sure its the right way round, but to be sure, I'm guessing the wider end goes on the diverter valve, sitting in the recess, with the smaller bit on the pipe. I'ts been driving me nuts. I thought I might have missed a washer or some thing.
see photo of the thing on the bench without pipe in place. Tell me this is the right way round. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 324
It is! Sometimes people overlook stupid things! Make sure the seatings clean and apply loads of grease to the oring, Clips can feel loose sometimes but pose no problem when pressurised or does the clip not fit?

I got it on, with a push and using washing up liquid. It ran for 1/2 hour then blew off :(
Will try again tonight, I was sure it was on ok.

Which end of the clip failed. ?

Perhaps the clip needs to be closed a little?

I an guessing the pipe pulled through the small clip.

Tony

sorted :)
I didn't have the clip forward enough to grip on the shoulder of the small pipe.
Many thanks for your tips, they proved invaluable. Now to sort out why its cutting out when starting up :(
By the sounds of it, its the detection electrode not picking up the flame. I'm hearing a click, click, click, then it cuts out. I repeat it several times, until it eventually takes, then runs fine, for 1/2 hour or so.
I'll replace the detection electrode and hope that sorts it, unless you guy's have any other suggestions.

The electrode is a gas related issue so the GasSafe guys on here are not allowed to help you further.

All I can say is, if you've already bought the electrode, and it doesn't fix your problem, you really do need to call in a Pro.

Is the boiler up to date with its servicing?

Hi, thanks for this. I will get someone in. No point in asking for advice and ignoring it. One thing getting covered in a bit of water, another thing going up in a puff of smoke.

Most unlikely to be the electrode itself.

More likely a trapped wire, the PCB or incorrect gas settings.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back