Changing factory fitting on unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a small leak on an unvented cylinder(corrosion prevents tightening up). Any advice about the changing of the component.
These fitting are not torqued on so tight is open to interpretation? :confused:

Sponsored Links
no "open to interpretation " about it. you need G3 certificate to work on unvented, end of.

Technically any fitting that is supplied fitted by the manufacturer has to be replaced/repaired by the manufacturer, not a G3 guy.

Sponsored Links
Unvented cylinders can be turned into time bombs if the safety controls are not installed correctly, phone the manufacturer.

I know it seems a bit of a bar stool, but just think of the worst, family members dying due to a big explosion of your tank, and they can bring houses down.

Ok will consult manufacturer.
Although this question can not be unique, as there are 1000's installed these days.
Yep, I know it could be a bomb if not attended to!

I wish I kept a picture of one I found last year. They said "it does not look quite right, can you mend it"? It was rusting and falling slowly through a wet chip board floor!
100% replacement.

Unvented cylinders can be turned into time bombs if the safety controls are not installed correctly, phone the manufacturer.

I know it seems a bit of a bar stool, but just think of the worst, family members dying due to a big explosion of your tank, and they can bring houses down.

Unvented cylinders? Not a good idea as they need a £100 a year service charge ..... they blow up too:

Water heater blasts:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3FwgIHsQA
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Wrm-Ns0I

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbnews/2001/dec/avon.asp

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml

http://www2.canada.com/edmonton/edm....html?id=02acabcc-e7c4-43e4-8fe0-5c298527e2d5

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/sto...orth-Phoenix-home/7p8jpeMzcU664FSrKb_osA.cspx

2d3s6v.jpg%20

ehg7l0.jpg%20

Original.jpg

An exploding water heater ripped apart a north Phoenix home Thursday morning.

Video from Air15, near 40th Street and Thunderbird Road, showed a hole in the roof of the garage, a pile of rubble, and debris blown out into the neighborhood.

Watch the RAW VIDEO of the explosion scene

The water heater ended up on a sidewalk about two blocks away, across from a school.

Fire spokesman Victor Rangel said the temperature and pressure valve malfunctioned, sending the water heater skyrocketing.

Nearby residents were evacuated as a Southwest Gas crew and agents from Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms investigated. Neighbors were allowed back into their homes after about two hours.

Many neighbors described the sound of a bomb, with windows shattering, walls shaking, and in one home pictures falling off walls.

A neighbor's wall was damaged by the explosion, which also broke windows in a house across the street.

One woman who lives two blocks away said the blast knocked all the pictures off her walls.

Click related link to right to see a water heater explosion.

Most of the damage occured to the house next door and directly across the street. However debris from the blast could be seen in yards and on roof tops.

According to Phoenix firefighters, the owner of the house was asleep when the blast ripped apart his garage about 5 a.m.

Red Cross relocated the homeowner.

No one was injured.

Rangel said he's never seen this happen and he'd spoken to several plumbers who had heard of hot water heaters exploding, but had never seen it happen.

He said homeowners need to keep up with the maintenance of water heaters; sometimes the T and P valves become corroded or have been installed improperly.

Rangel suggests having the units checked by a professional, especially for people buying homes that have gone through foreclosure. A home bought after a foreclosure might not have gone through an inspection, especially in a short sale.

Water heater warnings and tips from the Phoenix Fire Department Most of the time, your water heater just sits where it’s been placed, quietly doing its job. But unlike your family pet, if it’s unhappy it’s not going to walk to the door and bark and scratch. It could just suddenly blow up like the one that exploded this morning near Thunderbird Road and 38th Street.

What? You didn’t know that your water heater could be so lethal? It can be if a tank has been improperly installed, if hazards have been allowed to develop over time, if it has been improperly vented, or if the pressure relief valve has been tampered with.

Here are some safety tips to use when operating your hot water heater:

TEMPERATURE/PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE (T&P)

This valve is designed to prevent a tank from exploding if temperature or pressure exceeds safe limits, by opening and venting. Unfortunately, residential valves are somewhat prone to failure. They should be checked once a year by pulling up on the handle. Water should flow freely out and stop when you let go of the handle. If it does nothing, runs or drips, then the valve should be replaced. Hooking up the drain line with a union or flex connector makes T&P replacement MUCH easier.
People don't like to test their T&Ps. But when water heaters explode, it's catastrophic. People are injured or die; buildings are severely damaged. Test your T&Ps!

Also, T&P drain lines should go down and out. Never up. If the valve opens, water will pool there and corrode it shut.
Finally, if water is running out of your T&P line, look for the cause. It might just be a bad T&P. But it could also signal high-pressure problems or a dangerously defective control. Don't ignore it!
----------------------

It can be converted into a vented heat bank using a plate heat exchanger, CH pump, flow switch and blending valve. And probably a few Surrey flanges.

Easy to do, no G3 and will not blow up.

Thanks Big Burner.
Although I see you posting alot of anti-unvented cylinder material. :confused:

Thanks Big Burner.
Although I see you posting alot of anti-unvented cylinder material. :confused:

There is no need for them. Many who fit them want the annual service charge. Also many are just plain ignorant of other near zero-risk alternatives.

They have only been legal since 1986 because EU regs forced them on us.

They have only been legal since 1986 because EU regs forced them on us.[/quote]

Even though ironically they were invented by a brit?

We have millions of natural gas installations in this country as well. MANY of which have been done by DIY people and still not leaked or exploded?

An idiot driving a care commonly causes fatal road crashes, but strangely proven idiots are still allowed to drive??

An unvented cylinder installed or maintained by an idiot could cause danger or death through an explosion!
I am not one of those idiots.

I dont think anyone is calling you an idiot.
An unvented cylinder is subject to building regs in its design, installation and maintenance.
You do have to be G3 qualified to do all the above, be it a manufacture or installer or carry out maintenance.
I think however its safe to say most unvented cylinders are installed by "unqualified" (non G3) persons, not to say incorrectly.

I dont think anyone is calling you an idiot.
An unvented cylinder is subject to building regs in its design, installation and maintenance.
You do have to be G3 qualified to do all the above, be it a manufacture or installer or carry out maintenance.
I think however its safe to say most unvented cylinders are installed by "unqualified" (non G3) persons, not to say incorrectly.

Yes I do hold the qualification. I was clarifying the situation and showing comparisons. A fool is a person who "believes" they know the answers to everything and blunder in regardless of any knowledge or training.
There are some clever people that visit this site and I posted the thread for a professional experienced response.
If I can't get a thorough response I will have to refer my friend to the manufacturer directly.

I think everyone inc me thought you were not G3
Now Im really confused, If your G3 you've had all the info you need to work on it from your training, just get what you need and change it. UK Spares in Bristol are good but parts are pricey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back