Changing firedoor wired glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what i would be able to do here? Im sure this problem crops up alot in old converted buildings etc.

We live in the top floor flat of a converted building, where there is a communal staircase and access to each flat through separate (fire)doors.
We need our door glazed to try to get some natural light into our entrance hall, and we have inherited a door with typical wired fireglass which doesnt really look great on our front door.
Are there rules regarding using alternative types of glass in these arrangements? (Or can i use anything which is a fire resistant safety glass?) If not, are there any wired glasses that are slightly less aggressive looking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
since you dont like the glass, i bet the regs dont say you cant add something to it, i was thinking of a stained glass window kit "thing"

Sponsored Links
You can buy a product called Pyran or Pyrobel (both brand names) it is expensive but to all intents and purposes looks like ordinary clear Glass. It is a laminated glass with a special intumescent membrane, which if there is a fire goes cloudy and expands to insulate the glass. It must be glazed with intumescent strip or mastic, your local glass merchant should be able to advise on method and product.
Paul javascript:emoticon(':LOL:')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back