changing fitting on copper sinktap pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i'm after a little advice please. i'm planning on replacing my kitchen sink but the current tap pipes are soldered together. what is the best way to disconnect those soldered pipes so I can get the old sink out? see photo for an idea of the scenario:

the connections on the replacement sink look like this:

My main concern is what is the best way to disconnect / cut through the old pipes?

Would I be best to cut through the old pipes with a hacksaw (difficult to use a pipecutter in that space) at the appropriate height to accommodate the new tap pipes then clean up with wire wool and use compression fittings to plumb the new one in?

I've plumbed rads before, but never had to deal with soldered pipes, so any help on dealing with them here is appeciated.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not the tidiest of pipework.
If you cut your old pipework on the red lines then you'll beable to fit your isolation valves/compression valves/endfeed fitting straight on to these giving you enough pipework to play with.

cut them to low then you be stuffed as you'll be right on the solder joints.

tttt.jpg

thanks seco.

yep, it sure is ugly under there - i take no responsibility - i inherited that pipe'work'!

I have just been contemplating cutting the taptails short and using flexi-pipe, but isolation vales are prob a better idea.

thanks again for the advice - and taking time to mark up the photo.

Be careful where you cut them as the tails are not the same diameter all the way to the taps they narrow. :idea:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back