Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the best way to clean a copper pipe that I want to cut and add a compression fitting to

The pipe is old with just a bit of emulsion paint on it

It's my cold water so I want it nice and clean, would wire wool do it?

Sponsored Links
Fine emery cloth to remove the bulk of the paint and finish with fine grade wire wool.
As @DetlefSchmitz says, wear gloves when using the wire wool. It's a pain, (literally), when little bits get into your skin.

Sponsored Links
Stop using fairy liquid and man up ;)
When I worked in engineering, my hands were so rough and hard I could hold them under very hot water, (+50ºC), and it felt warm. Didn't stop those little bits getting into your skin and start irritating you a few days later. But it's not a surface irritation that you can scratch as it's sub-dermal.
(As for Fairy Liquid, we have a dishwasher. ;) )

Excellent, I've cleaned it up nicely with a cheap scotchbrite-type pad and some wire wool :)

What's the best way to cut into the pipe without filling it full of swarf? I can't get my pipe cutter in as its too close to the wall

Just flush it through at a tap afterwards. Don't let anyone flush a loo while you work.

Excellent, I've cleaned it up nicely with a cheap scotchbrite-type pad and some wire wool :)

What's the best way to cut into the pipe without filling it full of swarf? I can't get my pipe cutter in as its too close to the wall
Put your little finger in it while you are cutting it!
Follow me for more useful tips!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back