Replacing mixer taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am helping an Aunt replace her old mixer tap units. She has twin sinks so I am able to experiment AND learn on one sink. I have attempted to remove the old mixer tap unit. It is as normal secured to the sink with one large nut under the sink. The taps have two copper tubes about 8 inches long coming from the underside which join to flexible connectors with compression joints. These two flexible connectors then connect to the hot and cold which have small stop taps on them. it looked all straight forward except I can not get the large nut off as the two copper pipes have compression nuts on them making it much too large to pass through. The copper pipes appear to be soldered in place at the bottom of the tap.
Is there any other way to remove it other than taking a hacksaw to the copper pipes. Checking for new taps they all seem to have flexible pipes that screw directly into the bottom of the tap and then will connect to the hot and cold.
Is a hack saw and brute force the only answer?

Sponsored Links
If they are soldered then you have no choice.

As the tap will be scrapped anyway, it won't matter. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back