Switching a bathroom sink over and inst a pillar mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never done plumbing, but it looks quite easy after looking at the back of the sink unit. Thats what Im worried about. I have bought a new sink unit, which has a tall pillar mixer tap with two flexible hoses for the water with a male connector on the ends. The current sink is a standard two tap sink with pipes already connected with what look like nuts. How do I connect the flexible hoses to the copper pipe as th new tap hoses have \\\"nut\\\" like ends and the pipe wont after I have had to cut them, I think the waste pipe is the same height so that shouldnt be a problem. but im worried I will try this and it will all go horribly wrong becasue I dont know what im doing or whether i am missing something. Help!

Sponsored Links
im worried I will try this and
it will all go horribly wrong becasue I dont know what im doing
or whether i am missing something. Help!
No, you've got the idea, in the middle there:

it will all go horribly wrong becasue I dont know what im doing

Your instinct for caution is god's way of telling you to buy a book :D

it looks quite easy
And by the end of the post we see
but im worried I will try this and it will all go horribly wrong becasue I dont know what im doing

Your lack of confidence has shone through.

Pay someone to do it for you.

If they dont mind you watching them do it then you can learn and next time round you may be able to do it yourself

Thanks muchly to both contributors! im now completely none the wiser! :LOL:

I'd love to get someone to do it, but in Whitehaven I think there is precisely one plumber, and he is busy for the next ten years it seems.... my bathroom has two sinks and two toilets and my son keeps getting confused which loo to use to my utter dismay. (hes only 3.5)

Sponsored Links
Hi vlangford

If you're going to tackle this yourself then you'll have to treat it as a project, some parts of which will be easy and some difficult.

The first thing I would say is that you might be disappointed in the water flow from your new pillar tap. BTW, if your sink is in a bathroom then it's called a basin. ;)

Generally, you need to break the job down and tackle one thing at a time. For example:

1. Find the isolating valves for the hot and cold services, and shut them off. This can become a project on its own if the valves don't work.

2. Disconnect the pipes from the taps, disconnect the waste from the trap, and remove the basin.

3. Install the tap tails onto the tap and the tap onto the new basin.

4. Install the waste kit onto the new basin.

5. Install the new basin. If there are Fischer bolt slots, then use Fischer bolts.

6. Connect the trap and connect up the waste. It might need altering.
If I were you I'd buy a new trap, 'cos the old one will probably be unpleasant.

7. Connect the water supplies to the tap.

8. Reinstate the supplies, testing one before turning on the other.

To answer some of your specific questions

vlangford said:
How do I connect the flexible hoses to the copper pipe as th new tap hoses have \\\"nut\\\" like ends and the pipe wont after I have had to cut them
It sounds like you have flexible hoses with compression connectors, so just cut the pipes at the right height (plus a bit) and you'll be able to make on the connections.

I think the waste pipe is the same height so that shouldnt be a problem.
You might want to get an adjustable trap, just in case the waste doesn't line up as you think it will.

i had the same problem, you can buy a copper fitting in the BIG DIY stores that will connect the flexible tap hose and then will connect to the copper pipe. therefore joining the whole lot together ,go to the DIY store and study out all the fittings you will find one.

Will let you know how it goes! I successfully removed a radiator yesterday and was immensley proud of myself (how sad am I) well, single mum and all that, I gotta try to save pennies if I can...safely of course.

Slugbabydotcom said:
it looks quite easy
And by the end of the post we see
but im worried I will try this and it will all go horribly wrong becasue I dont know what im doing

Your lack of confidence has shone through.

Pay someone to do it for you.

If they dont mind you watching them do it then you can learn and next time round you may be able to do it yourself

lol, thanks, but as a single parent, and a whole house needing doing, I have to save my money on getting electricians out-not even going there with touching electrics! at least I can try the plumbing as ai can turn the water off safely. I managed to remove a radiator (small project I know, but for a novice with no plumbing experience I felt mighty proud-not to mentiont he fatc I saved a lot of money!)

Softus said:
Hi vlangford

If you're going to tackle this yourself then you'll have to treat it as a project, some parts of which will be easy and some difficult.

The first thing I would say is that you might be disappointed in the water flow from your new pillar tap. BTW, if your sink is in a bathroom then it's called a basin. ;)

Generally, you need to break the job down and tackle one thing at a time. For example:

1. Find the isolating valves for the hot and cold services, and shut them off. This can become a project on its own if the valves don't work.

2. Disconnect the pipes from the taps, disconnect the waste from the trap, and remove the basin.

3. Install the tap tails onto the tap and the tap onto the new basin.

4. Install the waste kit onto the new basin.

5. Install the new basin. If there are Fischer bolt slots, then use Fischer bolts.

6. Connect the trap and connect up the waste. It might need altering.
If I were you I'd buy a new trap, 'cos the old one will probably be unpleasant.

7. Connect the water supplies to the tap.

8. Reinstate the supplies, testing one before turning on the other.

To answer some of your specific questions

vlangford said:
How do I connect the flexible hoses to the copper pipe as th new tap hoses have \\\"nut\\\" like ends and the pipe wont after I have had to cut them
It sounds like you have flexible hoses with compression connectors, so just cut the pipes at the right height (plus a bit) and you'll be able to make on the connections.

I think the waste pipe is the same height so that shouldnt be a problem.
You might want to get an adjustable trap, just in case the waste doesn't line up as you think it will.

Im certainly going to give it a go, worst case scenario is that I have to get a plumber out to install them, but I wont have to pay out for his removing the old ones :) Thanks for the advice! Here goes...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back