Changing fluorescent light to track lighting/spotlights

The tube is just white opaque looking but yes, it does have an old diffuser on it - it was there when we moved in and I've washed it and scrubbed it but it just don't look cleaner.

These fittings you posted look quite nice - where did you find them?

Sponsored Links
The tube is just white opaque looking
99% of them are, however colour in this instance is not meaning red/yellow or whatever - it is the type of white light emitted by the tube.
There should be a code printed on the tube at one end which inidcates the colour.

These tubes:
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/product/1721/f18w-72-2ft-activa-172-full-spectrum-daylight-tube/
are probably the best for light quality, there is also an example of the different colours on that page.
(That is a 2ft tube, but other sizes are available).

If the diffuser is yellowed, then either buy a new diffuser, or remove it completely.

Try the GE Genura lamp in the R80s.
I have looked at the energy saving replacement spots but they are expensive!

Wow the Genura's are double the price of what the megaman's are. Maybe in a year or two the price will really drop. But I think I will be better off using normal cfl's because the light spreads than being focused into a spot.

Thankyou

If the diffuser is yellowed, then either buy a new diffuser, or remove it completely.

Removing is not a good idea as it provides some protection to the tube and contains the glass should the tube fracture.

If it is yellowed then try leaving it in strong sunlight for a few hours where the ultra violet may bleach the yellowing from the material. I have oftened wondered if a tanning sun bed would have the same effect.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back