Changing from a wide to a narrow external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im going to replace an external door which is 36in wide, with a new one which is 33in wide. How do I go about filling the gap between the masonry and the new 33in frame? - large screws and foam fill/ additional timbers?
Reason for using a narrower door is I got it cheap! However I now realise that I may pay dearly for it in extra framing costs!
Grateful for any suggestions.
Cheers
Martin
:oops:

Sponsored Links
you want to get 2 pieces of timber to suit the shape of your new frame and glue and screw one on each side of the new frame.then fix the frame as per norm.

Thanks for your help Chukka!
If Im lucky a couple of treated 1.5in strips should do it.
Cheers
Martin.

Sponsored Links
bear in mind that the hinges and locks will depend on the strength of the joints you make. i would use screws long enough to go as far as possible into the existing stiles, and thick ones(5mm min). use a clearance hole on the make-ups and the screws should squeeze up the joint tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back