Changing from oil to gas heating - sensible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I am just about to buy a house that has oil-fired heating. The house is in a small village but only about 20+ years old. The boiler looks like its equally old and a bit tired.

Forces outside of my control (i.e., the wife) dictate that the boiler is ugly and in the wrong position and therefore needs replacing and repositioning. I am also instructed that getting rid of the hot water tank 'would be best'.

These same forces have discovered that mains gas has now reached other nearby houses in the village so that we can now 'have a combi and a proper gas hob'.

Ok, so my first question is - does anyone have an idea of what it costs to link the house to the mains gas supply? British Gas say they need at least 3 weeks to provide a quote (as of today).

Secondly, at the risk of starting a 'heated' debate, if I am replacing the boiler is there much to choose between an oil or gas-based heating solution cost wise (cost of boiler, installation, fuel etc.).

Thanks,

tnc

Sponsored Links
Apart from the recent oil price problem, gas prices recently have been rising faster than oil prices. Oil is a more efficient way of getting heat than gas. So the boiler is "tired"? So what? there is probably little wrong with it apart from an overhaul of the burner and a poorly founded prejudice against it's appearance. You will be in a worse position with no watertank, since if your boiler breaks down, you will have no hot water.

(Why are people so "life style" driven over something that's so fundamental to comfortable living?)

Needless to say, you will probably be driven by prejudice than professional advice, so have fun with your new gas combi, I'm sure you will reflect in years to come.

Yes Oilman, but what happens when oil runs out in about 30 years' time (latest estimate)?

Paul

Hello,

We had gas ran to our house last year. the cost of the meter install, £412. This was for a flush meter box 10m from the pavement. Hope this help you make your mind up.

Joseph

Sponsored Links
i think if the oil runs out in 30 years time, the last of your worries will be heating your house. the end of civilisation itself will concentrate your mind. :rolleyes:

.........what happens when oil runs out in about 30 years' time (latest estimate)?

Since the gas is associated with the oil, I suspect the gas might run out as well. It may not matter, as Yellowstone Park may take care of it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oilman - I tend to agree with you on the 'lifestyle' point and I am also put off changing supplies by the potential disruption caused by digging up the road, pavement etc (not likely to impress the new neighbours much ;) ). However, it is hard to argue against the merits of a gas supply to the kitchen so I am struggling there. Still, 400+ quid sounds a bit cheeky for the right to then buy gas.

I had not considered a possible overhaul of the existing unit and that sounds like a cost-effective option (especially if it makes it look a little prettier ;) ). It's probably hard for you to say, but do you have any ideas on what such a job might cost? I won't know the details of the existing boiler until this coming weekend.

Also, is the oil to the existing boiler just gravity-fed? If so, I guess this means that if it is repositioned then it will have to stay on the floor.

Thanks
tnc

Gas has nearly run out in the uk so a gas pipeline guy was telling me
if you come over to the Kings Lynn area you will find that there is a stonking great pipeline connected to Russia Either just waiting or pumping your british gas now. :eek:

I have overhauled burners for between £150 and £300 when I have had to spend all day at it. Another possibility is to replace the burner with a modern model. This will cost between £400 and £500 depending on the type. This is rarely necessary, but is an option. Some modern burners are incredibly quiet, which might make things more acceptable. Perhaps a paint job on the casing may make that look better too. (Think Rayburn or Aga for instance).

The tank can be at any relative height, there are ways to deal with it and it's a commonly solved problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back