Changing from Rose to LED Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I want to replace an existing ceiling rose with a more modern pendant light.

The LED light has a live and neutral and no earth as it is double insulated.

See attached photo - the ceiling rose currently has 2 black wires in N and one black wire in L. There are then 3 red wires in Loop.

Am I right in thinking I can bundle up the 3 red wires in one end of connector block and then put the two 'N' black wires in Neutral in the new light and the one black 'L' wire in Live and maybe label this wire Live to prevent future confusion. Would that be the correct way to replace the rose?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20221023_145133.jpg
    20221023_145133.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Pretty much as you outlined ,mark the black wire ( it's the switched live) with red sleeving ideally,before removing from the rose. Pics of the new fitting , particularly where connections are going to be made,would be useful.
You may not be able to do it the way you think ,and retain its class 2 rating.

If there is enough slack on the cables you could use one of these and then you would only have one cable going to new fitting

Thanks for the replies. So I completed this today and used a Wago connector for the loop (as pictured), two black neutrals with the neutral and added a red sleeve as you suggested for the live. All working okay.

Attached shows the picture of the connections. When you mean class 2, is this a issue?

Attachments

• 20221030_134258.jpg
    20221030_134258.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
The two wires running downwards go to the light...which is rated as double insulated so no provision for earthing

Yes it was DI, but the wires used are not therefore it is not now DI.

Do they go through a tube or similar or will they be enclosed in the cover?

Either way, you should earth the bracket and possibly the fitting.

I realise someone has cut all the earth wires so it will not be easy.

Can we have a picture of the fitting?

Do you have access to the space above the ceiling ?
If you do ,you should make all the connections in a suitable junction box ,and run a length of 2 core flex from it to the light fitting.
That little white terminal block in your pic usually would have a short length of moulded tubing ,through which the supply cable / conductors pass through. Do you have that ?

Yes it was DI, but the wires used are not therefore it is not now DI.

Do they go through a tube or similar or will they be enclosed in the cover?

Either way, you should earth the bracket and possibly the fitting.

I realise someone has cut all the earth wires so it will not be easy.
I tend to agree, IMO if the light fitting is metal and the bracket screws are inserted from the outside, the brown and blue light wiring is not suitable for class II
Can we have a picture of the fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back