Changing from type 11 to type 22 Radiator Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to change my radiators in lounge and dining room from a single to a double radidator as the current radiators are way too small for the rooms.

Problem i have come accross is there is not enough movement in the pipes to enable them to come forward to meet the new radiator.

I do have some leeway in that i am replacing imperial radidators with new metric radiators, this means i am going from a 950mm wide radiator to a 900mm radiator. i had bought some extenders to bridge the gap.

Are there any elbows or such that i can use between the radiator vales/trv and the radidator itself. this would need to be a sort of
Shape.

Sponsored Links
Can u solder?

If so it can be done and look ok with 90deg fittings

If you can't solder and want to use compression or similar it will look pretty bad

I would fit the valves so that the head points away from the rad with the valve inlet pointing back towards the wall then use a 90 degree fitting ang coupling to join to th upright pipe ? Hope tat makes sense

no sorry no soldering skills. very basic DIY. would compression fittings work? if so what size are needed for a a radidator fitting?

or my other option is to phone a pro for a price to swap the 2 radiators in question and adust the pipe work accordingly.

What sort of price should i expect for the latter?

Without looking at the job it's difficult to say how much. Its very much dependent on the type and state of the existing system. There can be all sorts of issues when you drain down and try and refill.

If you haven't got someone you trust to do this sort of job now's a good time to find someone. If you have a plumbing emergency it's nice to have someone you trust to call on rather than getting a random out of the phone directory.

Sponsored Links
If you cant solder and want to use compression go for a bigger rad so that the compression elbow is under the rad and cant be seen also allows you to angle the pipe out slighty to take up the different valve distance from the wall compared to single rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back