Changing kitchen countertop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to do some budget friendly improvements to the kitchen which includes changing the countertop, backsplash, sink/tap and door handles.

Any advice on changing the countertop? I'm thinking, buying some lengths (not sure where from yet) that I like of the same depth and thickness and potentially getting a kitchen fitter to fit these in? Or is that DIY'able with basic tools? My concern is the circa. 45 degree cuts that are needed to turn the corners, potential un-even walls and the potential to make it look bad quickly!

Also prior to getting that sorted I'd potentially take off the backsplash tiles (want to replace with subway style) and buying the tap/sink ready. I'm thinking the backsplash is more DIY'able after the new countertop is fitted.

Any advise would be great.

(Also posted in the my projects forum but trying to delete it as think this question is better here)

Attachments

• 15958351287004332005068197621623.jpg
    15958351287004332005068197621623.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you don't own a router or worktop jig then you're probably better off getting a fitter in

Tiles you can fit yourself after the worktop has been fitted , do you own a jigsaw to chop a hole in the worktop for your new sink?

Have to say I quite like your kitchen , do like white shaker style doors and units , if you add a lick of paint to your list of jobs , you will transform the look of your kitchen for very little outlay

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very likely going to go with a fitter for the countertop for reasons you mention and my lack of experience in that sort of thing!

Yeah, some new tiles, sink, tap and possibly door handles it should come up okay.

(y)

You can buy the worktop precut with all of the proper joints cut into it.

It probably doesn't work out much cheaper than getting a fitter in to cut them on site, and this has the benefit of correcting any measurement cock ups you make :cautious::whistle:

Sponsored Links
How does that work out if the corners ste out of square?

How does that work out if the corners ste out of square?
You can get them to cut it to whatever shape, so as long as you are handy with a tape measure, you can get what you need.

In my case, you get it wrong and end up hacking plaster off the wall to get them to fit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back