Changing Laguna Front Wishbones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read some threads on other forums describing the basic method for changing these, not easy I appreciate............

I gather you can change them without having to completely remove the subframe however I have a problem. The bolts securing the wishbones to the subframes appear to be seized solid, I have shattered 2 Britool sockets trying to back them off, they don't appear to be left hand thread and visually appear in good condition.

Am I missing a trick or can I simply grind off the nuts from the underside before dropping the subframe and replacing the bolts with the new wishbones? This is one of these jobs I am wishing I had never started but the car is now stuck on the drive so I can only go forward!

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try local heat to the bolts, and invest in a hexagon socket rather than the normal bi-hex, a long jointed bar might give you better torque for undoing, give them a quick snatch, they were probably done up with an air tool.

Wotan

The second socket was a Hexagon style socket form my good set :evil: . I have borrowed a 3/4" set to have another go tonight, tried all the usual tricks :rolleyes: with heat etc before shattering the second socket.

No verdict on the cutting option then?

Wot - you managed to shatter Britool gear? :eek:
My Britool stuff seems destined to see me out!
There could be some mileage in buying new bolts from Renault, then you'll see if there are any hidden nasties.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I was being rather brutal :LOL: Big pipe over my breaker bar to give a bit more leverage etc, something had to break, I just thought it would be the breaker bar joint!!

I have just ordered the bolts from the main dealer......... a whopping £39.76 and two days delivery :cry:

Before this I have always had german cars, parts are expensive but at least everything is logical and from memory the bolts were a fraction of the price, if they were required.
:!: Mental note to self, next time at the auctions steer away from the tempting cheap french motors!

sucess, job done :)

Word to the wise though, this is a total pig of a job and anyone wanting to do it must be prepared to go the full way and drop the subframe totally :eek:

The forward bolts holding the wishbone in place have a top hat style nut. In my case with this seized solid on the drivers side the whole subframe had to be dropped to cut the head off the bolt. Which by the way is slightly recessed :rolleyes: I star cut the bolt head and used a good quality chisel to remove the remains. However when picking up the new bolts I asked the local main dealer what they would charge for this given the siezed bolt............................ I was told including parts around £1000 :oops: So worth putting in the effort.

Thanks to all for the tips.

You have a heart like a lion mate and very well done....its the sort of job thats beckons for a garage with a gas axe.....
Touring Argyll next May on my bike - lovely part of the world, heading for Tarbert.
John :)

Back