Problem removing front strut mounting bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The nearside front coil spring snapped on my 2004 Citroen Berlingo van, 2.0 HDI, 75,000 miles. Fortunately it happened when it was stationary and the spring ended up sitting on the top of the tyre, so didn't cause any further damage. I watched a series of youtube videos on how to replace a coil spring, and thought it looked relatively straightforward. The stage I'm at is trying to remove the lower strut mounting bolt, but it's not going as easily as it did for the guy in this video.

It was seized solid, so I ground the nut at the front of the strut off with my angle-grinder. I can get a reasonably good strike on the bolt with a hammer and punch, but I can't get it to budge. Unlike on the car in the video, the other end of the bolt is wedged against a protruding bit of the strut, which prevents it from rotating..

Does anyone know how I might go about removing the bolt? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if its that badly siezed heat is probably your only option, have you tried spraying plenty of penetrating fluid in there?
Can also be beneficial to strike the head of the bolt a few times with the hammer to try and shock it loose

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I hadn't thought of spraying it with anything until I read your post :oops: so I've now sprayed it liberally with WD40 and will let it soak overnight. I'll try hitting the end of the bolt with a hammer as well.

I can get a hold of one of these electric heat guns tomorrow.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dw...ing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url

Do you reckon that will do the job if I apply the heat for long enough, or is a flame type heat gun necessary?

If you have a welder you could weld a large nut over the head of the bolt, that will give you much better purchase and the heat should loosen it.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Go canny with the heat.....!
Use plenty of penetrating oil, and use a broad blade chisel just to prise the pinch slot open a fraction. With that and perseverence with the hammer and drift, you should get there.
John :)

Back