Changing light switches and plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have several light switches and plug sockets in my house that I would like changing. Im I right in thinking that this doesn't have to be done by a qualified electrician, but has to be checked by one?

Also, is it easy to for the average person to do? Is it as simple as changing a plug?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can do this yourself, no checking required. Make a note of whats connected where, with lightswitches, because they can be very complex.

A few tips:
  1. Read the Wiki information on different light switch layouts and terminal naming conventions - they aren't all the same.
  2. If a light switch has more than one core of the same colour make sure you identify them in a way that won't get lost before you remove them.
  3. Make good notes and/or take photos - don't think "I'm putting the new one on straight away, I won't forget", because the phone will ring and you will.
  4. Get some earth sleeving in case some is missing.
  5. Talking of earths - with sockets and metal switches the circuit earth will obviously go to the accessory, but it's generally considered a good idea to run a wire between there and the earth terminal on metal backboxes.
  6. Talking of earths - if your light switch cables don't have any you must not fit metal switches and you should replace the fixing screws with nylon ones while you wait for the electrician to come and do the rewire.
  7. Flat plate accessories can require deeper backboxes, and can be very unforgiving of uneven walls.
  8. Don't rely on a neon screwdriver to verify that the power is off. In fact if you have a neon screwdriver, throw it away.
  9. Buy a multimeter.

Sponsored Links
I think I would have to take issue with the satatement No Checking Required. If an Electrician was to carry out this job then the minimum of checking he would carry out would be Taking loop impedance tests before and after changing the Sockets. The O.P should be advized at the very minimum to purchase a plug in socket tester to verify his connections on the socket outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back