Fitting a ceiling rose pendant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an electrician coming to fit a simple rose ceiling pendant light for £70. I'm guessing it's quite straight forward, I've changed plugs and plug sockets /light switches before, but before I watch any tutorials on how to to it, can anyone advise is it worth doing myself or should I wait and pay for the electrician? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends what's there already. If you take photos some of us can advise you. At least paying someone you know it's done.

Easy job. Understand the switch wire. You can't go by the colours. 2 core cable is say black and red. Red goes to the switch but come back as a black wire. It is a live switch wire and should have a red sleeve over to show it's live. Not a neutral. Don't start clumping wires together based on colour.

If you mix up you need to test wires to identify the switch wire

Should be simple, take/post a picture before disconnect anything.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've got an electrician coming to fit a simple rose ceiling pendant light for £70. I'm guessing it's quite straight forward,
You have already arranged the electrician. You have them fit it and pay them them the £70.

If you choose the other option and cancel, what do you expect the electrician to do with the time they have already allocated to this work and won't be paid for?

I have looked at fitting ceiling roses many times, the regulations say they should take a weight of 5 kg, I would not like the test that, seen many fitted to plaster board, in the main 9 connectors, 3 permanent line, 3 neutral, 2 switched line, and a clamp for all the earth wires, that is a lot of wires to connect in a small space above your head, specially holding a chandelier as well. As already said common to find a black or blue is line not neutral, I fitted these 1684749327378.png so in the future I can wire the lights on the floor, and simply plug them in.

It also meant no weight I need to hold above my head, and with the number of threads where people can't get new light working, it seems people have a problem with ceiling roses. And seems you have already engaged an electrician, so would still need to pay a cancellation fee, so would not save you £70.

in the main 9 connectors, 3 permanent line, 3 neutral, 2 switched line, and a clamp for all the earth wires,
Isn't one of the switched line also one of the permanent lives making it 8 connectors? I thought in a ceiling rose you had two blocks of 3 and one block of 2. (Excluding the earths).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back