alternatives to normal round ceiling roses for pendants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -
I have a timber ridge beam in a new build modern flat and I wanted a pendant light to emerge from the underside of the beam without a rose. The look was intended to be minimal.
This meant drilling the beam and, I thought, connecting the pendant flex above the ceilng line somehow with a small flush access hatch.
In fact what the electrician has done is simply poke the t&E through the hole in the beam. - so it looks like we now need a traditional rose on the underside. ( The ceilings either side are now plastered and decorated. )
Anyone know of any alternatives to a normal ceiling rose in this sort of situation?
for example is there a super-slim version? or one which can be cut-in flush?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could flush in a mounting box and fit a blank plate eg this and drill the plate and fit a cable gland/clamp.

You would have to check the weight capacity of the plate and gland though.

What about a brass ceiling rose?

bg-polished-brass-ceiling-rose-661br_1497_1_medium.jpg

If they look a bit tacky, have a look here:

http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/ceiling_hooks_plates.htm

You could flush in a mounting box and fit a blank plate eg this and drill the plate and fit a cable gland/clamp.

You would have to check the weight capacity of the plate and gland though.

Better still would be a flex outlet plate, with the hole in the centre. Crabtree do one.

Why would a ceiling rose look so bad?

I think a ceiling rose is neat, and looks more 'finished' than a flex coming out of a small hole. I think you have too much time on your hands, and are worrying unnecessarily.

Sponsored Links
You're absolutely right I'm giving this way too much attention but we all get a bee i our bonnet sometimes. Unfortunately a normal box cut with a flush plate in would mean a significant amount of wood to chisel out of the underside of the beam - so I'll have to give in and go for a normal rose.

Thanks for all contributions.

I have a timber ridge beam in a new build modern flat and I wanted a pendant light to emerge from the underside of the beam without a rose. The look was intended to be minimal.
You need something other than just a hole, or as sparkwright says it will look unfinished.

But, modern flat... minimal look... what about the outside part of a s/s or brushed nickel etc compression gland?

Or a wooden knob of some sort cut down, drilled, glued to the beam and stained to match?

good idea but I would still have to join the T&E to a bit of flex and I guess the connector wouldneed to be accessible etc..
( T&E obviously looks really horrible dangling. )
Maybe a choc block housed into the timber - bit its all getting a bit daft then. Think I'll stich to a normal rose.

Reason for posting was that I thought someone might know of a mini - connector that would do the job.

R

Ah - flat - should have thought there'd be no access from above. :oops:

The site RF linked to has wooden roses.

Is the beam structural?

What might suit you is a ceiling rose and old wooden ceiling block from back in the day, anyone who has done re-wiring of domestic properties will know what I mean. I found a pic of something similar here click me

I didn't even look at the price and still havent, ask some sparkys you know that do rewires on domestic properties and they are bound to be removing these things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back