Connecting a ceiling rose through a ceiling rose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here but ive been lurking for a little while.

I've just bought my first home and so am finally getting into a bit more DIY.

Hope this is the right place for it, wasn't sure if here or the decorating area would be better.

I've bought a new pendant light for our living room which came with a nice ceiling rose. However, im also looking to install decorative ceiling rose (plaster moulding style but a lightweight one not made of actual plaster).

(Cheers to whoever decided to name them the same, its made googling this issue a right pain.)

So the part that has me stumped is connecting the pendant rose to the ceiling through the moulding.

My first thought was to cut a hole large enough for the pendant rose to sit in the moulding so I could attach it directly to the ceiling using the current screw holes, however the fastening requires side access which would be blocked by the moulding.

IMG_0443.jpg

My next thought would be to mount the bracket through the moulding, however because of the design, id have to cut out the middle section of the moulding wider than the bracket to get it flush, which makes that approach it impossible.

(The highlighted section is what would need to be removed, but is wider than the bracket)
IMG_0445.jpg

So my final idea is to cut out the middle section and use a strip of wood as a spacer between the moulding and the ceiling to give me enough room to get access to the side of the pendants ceiling rose. But that just feels a little... hacky.

Which brings me here, is there a better way of dealing with this that I'm missing? My last resort would be to buy a new ceiling rose for the pendant that has direct access to the mounting screws from below.

Cheers all!

Gigante

Sponsored Links
The round timber shim in the middle is the standard way to address your problem. Yes those ornate roses can look massively tacky, def down to personal taste :)
EDIT You need to make a round mount for the fitting that will sit in the middle & look half decent (unless the rose is solid enough for you to hide a square shim behind it)

The round timber shim in the middle is the standard way to address your problem. Yes those ornate roses can look massively tacky, def down to personal taste :)
EDIT You need to make a round mount for the fitting that will sit in the middle & look half decent (unless the rose is solid enough for you to hide a square shim behind it)

Thanks, using a round shim does feel right actually. Sounds a lot more secure than what I had in my mind.

I agree on the ceiling rose front, they do have potential to be tacky in the wrong context. Our house is a Victorian build so we’re going with quite a simple ceiling rose and pendant light, so fingers crossed it won’t be tacky!

Sponsored Links
My ceiling rose is above my ceiling with just the flex coming through and connecting under the cup with a terminal block. I have a 6” square of ply with a hole in it above the plasterboard ceiling which spreads the load which I screw the pendant fixing bracket to. Probably wrong but it’s been fine since the lights were fitted in 1990 when we moved here!

F9577F8B-F98E-4359-8322-87780BEE2F59.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back