Wiring a Decorative ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve bought a decorative polyurethane light weight ceiling rose just to add that little something to our newly decorated room.
Currently we just have a big standard plastic rose with lightbulb and light shade. We want to keep this but just add the decorative rose.

My dilemma is making the rose work with a plastic pendant. My idea was to just drill a small hole in the rose and then for that over the screw on plastic cover so only the wire is visible once the rose is up? The concern then is that the wiring is not accessible.

Any suggestions how I can overcome this or do I have to cut out a larger piece of the rose so that it fits over the hole top part of the pendant and then it can be screwed on or off and the wiring accessible? Hope that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
I don't fully understand your post, but I suspect that you are talking about the spaghetti load of cables running into the existing plastic rose. It reads like you only want the flex to be visible.

That strikes me as being a really bad idea. The various cables need to be accessible.

Sorry, probably wasn’t very clear. Yeah so was thinking it would look better with just the flex showing but like you say there would be no access to the wiring. Guessing I need to cut a bigger hole and fit it over the plastic screw on section

Sorry, probably wasn’t very clear. Yeah so was thinking it would look better with just the flex showing but like you say there would be no access to the wiring. Guessing I need to cut a bigger hole and fit it over the plastic screw on section
So I don't know if you have these in the UK, but in France you can get these plastic domes in all shapes, colours and sizes. Inside there is a domino thing for joining the cables that is a closed plastic box, and a cable gripper on the dome that stops the cord slipping through. The plastic cone has a ring inside that you hang on a hook in the ceiling. Photo attached.

Here Link to similar.

If you get a nice one it looks ok. Ours is not great but we have no earth so we are limited.

Gill

Attachments

• 20230622_180249.jpg
    20230622_180249.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
I typcially put the electric ceiling rose ontop of the decorative ceiling rose.
(ie Ceiling, decorative ceiling rose, electric ceiling rose)
Long screws from electric ceiling rose, through the decorative ceiling rose into the ceiling.

I do not counter sink the electric ceiling rose into the decorative ceiling rose.

For this application where there is likley to be a large lamp, I like to use these as the lamp can be wired up on the floor and then plugged into the electrical ceiling rose. There was a better heavyweight version (ciosting £45) but cannot get them anymore.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...ssories_All/Lighting_Accessories_2/index.html
SFK

thank you for all of the advice. This is the rose we have, it’s only
Lightweight polyurethane.

Attachments

• IMG_7558.png
    IMG_7558.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 49
Two options.

These hooks will take a wire through the hook. You attach a chained light on the hook. They wires will be behind the ceiling rose.

Or

Cut the surface flat to take a ceiling pendent. Take your time. Long screws through light pendant to joist

I think you can get polystyrene roses with a large circular hole in them so you don't have to remove the plastic pendant rose.

The plastic pendant rose needs to be visible/accessible.

If you use the polystyrene rose you have already bought, fit that first, then the pendant rose.

Before fitting the polystyrene rose, ensure there is something substantial like some wood (maybe there is a joist above the ceiling) that you can fix the pendant rose to with long woodscrews. Work all this out first before you stick the polystyrene rose in place, because it's a horrible job trying to find somewhere solid to screw the long screws into if you don't know where the wood is.

The problem I found was getting the electrical ceiling rose to slide in with the plaster rose in place, the electrical rose needs to be able to support 5 kg according to regulations, so it needs to have good screws holding it to the beams, Ceiling rose.jpg but to fit the lamp you only have a small clearance and the plaster had to be cut away to fit the lamp which really defeats the whole idea of the plaster decoration rose.

I really wish the previous owners had not put it there, DSC_4714.JPG took ages to carve away the plaster so lamp would slide in and out.

We don’t want a heavy light fitting, it’s just a standard plastic one with a simple light shade.
Here is the rose we have bought, it’s very light weight so doesn’t need to screwed in place

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7571.jpeg
    IMG_7571.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 40
We don’t want a heavy light fitting, it’s just a standard plastic one with a simple light shade.
Here is the rose we have bought, it’s very light weight so doesn’t need to screwed in place

When it comes down to it, it is your home. Who is going to stop you?

I don't think it is a advisable though.

How will you secure the cable in the cavity above the plastic rose? You need something to prevent it being accidentally pulled down when someone is, for example, changing bulbs.

Sorry think you’ve misunderstood? The pendant with the wiring that holds the bulb will obviously be screwed to the ceiling, as it is currently. The decorative rose doesn’t require screwing as it is polyurethane

Sorry think you’ve misunderstood? The pendant with the wiring that holds the bulb will obviously be screwed to the ceiling, as it is currently. The decorative rose doesn’t require screwing as it is polyurethane
Okay...

A plastic pendant has strain relief lugs for the flex that runs down to the light fitting.

Forgive me, but how are you going to bury the base of the plastic rose under your PU fitting?

EDIT, so are you going to grind away the reverse side of the PU rose to accommodate the base of the plastic fitting?

as it is polyurethane
Oh is that allowed again now? I know at one time we had plastic ceiling tiles idea was to insulate, however I though these were banned now as with a fire the plastic could drip on people escaping from the fire. I would have thought polyurethane would have come under the same ban?

I did a google and got
Is it illegal to have polystyrene ceiling tiles?

"Polystyrene ceiling tiles and coving are not illegal and you can still go to stockists and DIY stores to buy them. Modern products contain a fire retardant additive and are not so high a risk. 24 Jan 2022

I have hunted and found Regulation concerning dangerous substances: ARSTYL® polyurethane products are to be classified neither under ”very toxic” nor under ”toxic”, according to the regulations concerning dangerous substances. so seems no problem.

Last edited:
As to whether to cut a hole in the decorative rose, that was the entire point of my post, to ask advice because I wasn’t sure what to do. Gone full circle I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back