Ceiling Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have bought a budget ceiling rose (polystyrene), hopefully the picture explains my problem (picture shows the back of the rose, the front is more decorative of course).

The back of the ceiling rose is flat, but I have all the wires from the light fitting proud of the ceiling.

I know this isn't the correct answer but it's like I need to remove some of the back of the ceiling rose so the wires sit inside it and the rose can sit flush on the ceiling.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you intention is to have the feature sitting flat to the ceiling you have options, which may depend on the light fitting you are going to connect.
You could simple remove the existing rose plate and pull conductors through the feature, you could cut out the circular shape of the ceiling rose out of the feature rose or you could fit a dry-line circular recessed box.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB6.html

I guess I could cut a circle out of the new ceiling rose (exactly the same size as the existing plastic ceiling fitting), therefore the extg fitting will then sit within the rose. The ceiling rose is about 20mm deep.

Problem is, I will have trouble getting to the light fitting if I ever need to :confused:

I'm not sure I would have the confidence to try the other options.

Problem is, I will have trouble getting to the light fitting if I ever need to :confused:
Not sure what you mean by this? I don't see how the problem of access to the light fitting would be increased any, from to what it is already!
I'm not sure I would have the confidence to try the other options.
Well a lot of things are about confidence, fitting ta dry lining box is not that difficult you would required a hole saw or a dry-lining saw and you would also hope that there were no obstruction in the ceiling void, in the location it would be desired.

I assume you actually putting a light fitting up?

Sponsored Links
At the minute there is just a bulb hanging from the cable. I was going to keep it the same, and get a shade for it.

i would remove the rose from the ceiling, cut a smallish hole in the polystyrene to fit the wires thru, and then attach the rose to the underside of the polystyrene, with long screws thru into the original fixings.

Like this:

http://mybuilder-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/2_thumb/408933_f0c67b4460.jpg[/QUOTE]

I would the same.

(Part of the communication problem is that both items are called ceiling roses!)

You need to isolate the power completely and remove the electrical ceiling rose, fit the polystyrene ceiling rose, and refit the ceiling rose.

Make sure you connect the wiring AS IT IS, not as you think it should be!

The problem with cutting a large round hole into the polystyrene rose is that it makes it awkward if you replace the light fitting for something else.

At the minute there is just a bulb hanging from the cable. I was going to keep it the same, and get a shade for it.

Well the simple answer would be to remove the lighting rose and pull cables through a wee hole in the ceiling rose feature, then reconnect or install a new ceiling (light) rose.
Just make a note of the connections, I have spotted the switch live is sleeved red. it is in your best interests that that red sleeve remains on that conductor.

Thanks for all your help chaps.

I would prefer to just see a cable coming through the polystyrene rose. But, like you say, it makes it difficult to get at when the polystyrene rose is glued to the ceiling, I guess you would have to pull up the floor boards in the room above.

Maybe I can find a ceiling rose (the plastic light fitting rose) that is a little less obvious, but I doubt it as I've never noticed one anywhere before.

There could be enough slack on the existing cables to pull them through, but it looks like you would have three sets of cables (9 conductors/wires) coming through your feature and that would be quite normal for a standard loop-in lighting arrangement.
The problem being some light fittings are manufactured in such away that they make it very difficult to allow for the space of the three cables and the ease of terminating them.
A solution would be to install a maintenance free (MF) junction box in the ceiling void, theses are designed so that no maintenance is required on the terminals once connected and can be left in the void, and hopefully you would never have to access them and the feature can be glued.
All you would need to do is, disconnect the lighting ceiling rose, note down the connections, make a void for the MF junction box to go in, connect the cables and the connect a forth cable that will act as the supply to the light.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

Make sure you purchase th J804 as it has a loop connection, the 32A one doesn't!

Couldn't I just take the existing ceiling rose, cut a whole in the ceiling, push the ceiling rose in the hole. The new ceiling rose (polystyrene one) will cover the hole.

If I was to install a maintenance free (MF) junction box in the ceiling void (as suggested earlier in this post) and glue the ceiling rose (polystyrene one) over it, the terminals won't be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back