FCU socket to a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

How difficult is it to simply switch an FCU 13Amp socket to a plug socket? I.e is it as simple as changing the face plates?

I could get an electrician to come out and do it if it is difficult to do but if it's as simple as wiring an electric cooker then... I could probably DIY it and save myself £150!

Sponsored Links
It's not difficult to do but the question I would ask is, "what is the FCU protecting?" As it could be there as a safety device that is supplying/protecting other outlets and lower rated cable.

It all depends on what the FCU is connected to to start with.

If it's connected to an existing socket circuit, and there's nothing on the outgoing side then it is just a case of swapping the front plate.

If it is fed off some other circuit and there are outgoing connections then things rapidly get a lot less straight forward.

It's not difficult to do but the question I would ask is, "what is the FCU protecting?" As it could be there as a safety device that is supplying/protecting other outlets and lower rated cable.

Well one of the FCU sockets (living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 plug next to it). I'm planning on switching out the storage heaters for just normal electric rads with thermostat / timer control.

The other FCU socket (bedroom) appears to be unused and situated next to a E7 socket - which is connected to the storage heater in the bedroom. Presumably this disused FCU socket was in place for the radiator but as it's a storage only rad (no convector) it isn't in use.

Sponsored Links
Well one of the FCU sockets (living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 plug next to it).

It'd be easier to work out what's going on if you were more precise.

MKK1040.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
blank65x10t.gif
FCU

MKK2757.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
blank65x10t.gif
SOCKET

TLPT13.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
blank65x10t.gif
PLUG

Well one of the FCU sockets (living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 plug next to it).

It'd be easier to work out what's going on if you were more precise.

Guess I was adding uneccessary words into my response:

Let's reword:

Well one of the FCUs (in the living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 FCU next to it). I'm planning on switching out the storage heaters for just normal electric rads with thermostat / timer control and would like to connect these via a 13amp PLUG i.e. switch the FCU to a SOCKET.

The other FCU (in the bedroom) appears to be unused and situated next to an E7 FCU - which is connected to the storage heater in the bedroom. Presumably this disused FCU was in place for the radiator but as it's a storage only rad (no convector) it isn't in use - and I would like to switch this FCU out for a SOCKET too.

Aimvpr";p="2603944 said:
Well one of the FCUs (in the living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 FCU next to it).
So you've got 2 FCUs next to each other, one on a normal circuit, one on an off-peak one, and a storage heater on the normal circuit, not the off-peak one? Odd.

Anyway - if that heater is connected to a flex outlet plate, or if the FCU is a flex outlet type, and the FCU doesn't supply anything else, then it can simply be replaced with a socket.

The other FCU (in the bedroom) appears to be unused and situated next to an E7 FCU - which is connected to the storage heater in the bedroom.
So 2 FCUs again, only this time the NSH is connected to the right one.

As above re swapping the FCU for a socket.

If you are not going to have NSH any more you should probably get off the E7 tariff - day-rate might be higher than normal, and as you're about to start using a lot more with your electric heating, that would be bad news.

ban-all-sheds";p="2603967 said:
Well one of the FCUs (in the living room) is connected to a storage / convector heater (with the E7 FCU next to it).
So you've got 2 FCUs next to each other, one on a normal circuit, one on an off-peak one, and a storage heater on the normal circuit, not the off-peak one? Odd.

Anyway - if that heater is connected to a flex outlet plate, or if the FCU is a flex outlet type, and the FCU doesn't supply anything else, then it can simply be replaced with a socket.

The other FCU (in the bedroom) appears to be unused and situated next to an E7 FCU - which is connected to the storage heater in the bedroom.
So 2 FCUs again, only this time the NSH is connected to the right one.

As above re swapping the FCU for a socket.

If you are not going to have NSH any more you should probably get off the E7 tariff - day-rate might be higher than normal, and as you're about to start using a lot more with your electric heating, that would be bad news.

Well i'm still debating whether I should get off E7 tariff or not as my hot water supply uses E7. So I'm still not 100% sure which would be the cheapest option.

Re: switching FCU to socket, on that basis it should be quite straight forward i.e. 3 wire jobby.

Re: switching FCU to socket, on that basis it should be quite straight forward i.e. 3 wire jobby.

It may well be a six wire 'jobby' if the FCU is part of the ring final.

And there may be another three wires from the load side of the FCU. You'll need to investigate this - as has been said before - don't assume the FCUs are just unused. They actually be doing something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back