Spurring off a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dmann
Hi all,

Need some advice please.

I am looking to extend sockets in storage space and want to check how to go about it. There is a double socket that runs from fuseboard and this is the only socket on this wire, there is a 13amp fcu between socket and fuseboard. Could I spur of this socket 3 times - spurring once off of each socket without another fcu? Would I be able to add a ip rated switch between the last two sockets for plug in decking lights etc?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
.... There is a double socket that runs from fuseboard and this is the only socket on this wire, there is a 13amp fcu between socket and fuseboard.
Are you sure about all that (it sounds a bit odd)?

Do you know if anything else is connected in the fuseboard to the same place as the cable feeding this socket (via an FCU)?

Kind Regards, John

Hi

Its the only one on fuse on consumer unit with it's own isolator

Attachments

• 20200525_011722.jpg
    20200525_011722.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
Its the only one on fuse on consumer unit with it's own isolator
What is the rating of the MCB (or fuse) in the consumer unit serving that circuit? Do you know what size is the cable connecting the consumer unit to the FCU?

Regardless of the answers to the above, the simple/short answer to your question is that you can do as you suggest, and connect as many additional sockets (or anything else) as you want to the load side of the FCU (i.e. the side feeding the current socket) - but the total current available for all sockets will then be limited to 13A. However, depending upon your answers to the above, there might be alternative solutions which could be 'better' for you.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back