Spur off a spur

The only guidance I know is so you don't overbend the cables of moulded plugs and that's nowhere near 250mm.
What reg no are you referring too

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Quick question.........

I had a new socket installed in my kitchen recently.

There was already a socket in the kitchen (a spur from the garage, with a double socket on), and the electrician took a spur from this spur and put another double socket on.

When I queried this I was told that, strictly speaking, this was not compliant but since I wasn't going to be running any super-heavy appliances then it would be OK.

Of course, I am not particularly happy with this.

I am not going to ask the guy to return, but I want an FCU placed in to make the work compliant.

My question is.....if I am putting a 13Amp FCU in, does it sit before the first (original) spur (so that the total limit for both sockets is 13Amp) or between the original spur and the new spur (just to limit the new spur to 13Amp)?

Many thanks for any help..............
could you run a cable from your new socket back into the garage and make them all into a ring

FGS.

READ:

at least 250mm above the worktop so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

AGAIN:

so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

AND AGAIN:

so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

You are not understanding something.

We have read your post. We understand what you have written.

Now you read our posts again:

Where do you get the 250mm distance from?

The only guidance I know is so you don't overbend the cables of moulded plugs and that's nowhere near 250mm.
What reg no are you referring too

I'm not referring to a reg. I am using common sense. Better not to have the sockets behind appliances so you can get to them easily.

Sponsored Links
You are not understanding something.

We have read your post. We understand what you have written.

Now you read our posts again:

Where do you get the 250mm distance from?

It is the distance that puts them above kettles, toasters , etc that people have on kitchen worktops. At times I despair at posters lacking intelligence.

At times I despair of posters putting information on here that is just their belief, or understanding, or what THEY consider to be the "way to do it".

I am afraid that you are a prime example of
posters lacking intelligence.

All we are asking is what is the regulation, or other dictate, that confirms this 250mm distance from (the one that only you seem to know about). So regulation number please.

At times I despair at posters throwing their opinions in as if they were meaningful

Pretty poor of your sparky to do this, particularly in a kitchen where its notifiable.

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here, so it would be interesting to see what others add.

My addition, then. Electrical work in a kitchen is not notifiable.
I will agree that the work is poor.

All we are asking is what is the regulation, or other dictate, that confirms this 250mm distance from (the one that only you seem to know about). So regulation number please.

As I said there is no regulation.

It is the distance that puts them above kettles, toasters , etc that people have on kitchen worktops. At times I despair at posters lacking intelligence.

They need to be at least 250mm above the worktop
You said NEED to be. What directive is that? The book of Winston?

It would have been much better if you had said "I suggest that you place them at least 250mm above the work top. I do this because........."

The way you wrote the original sentence indicated that it is a mandatory requirement.

They need to be at least 250mm above the worktop
screenshot_1271.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back