Spur off a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question.........

I had a new socket installed in my kitchen recently.

There was already a socket in the kitchen (a spur from the garage, with a double socket on), and the electrician took a spur from this spur and put another double socket on.

When I queried this I was told that, strictly speaking, this was not compliant but since I wasn't going to be running any super-heavy appliances then it would be OK.

Of course, I am not particularly happy with this.

I am not going to ask the guy to return, but I want an FCU placed in to make the work compliant.

My question is.....if I am putting a 13Amp FCU in, does it sit before the first (original) spur (so that the total limit for both sockets is 13Amp) or between the original spur and the new spur (just to limit the new spur to 13Amp)?

Many thanks for any help..............

Sponsored Links
You need the FCU to be on the first spur as it protects the whole cable run. Pretty poor of your sparky to do this, particularly in a kitchen where its notifiable. Did he give you an installation certificate for the work?

Many thanks for your speedy reply....

No - should I have gotten a certificate? I didn't get one...........

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - yes, I did pay him so I will chase him up. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.............

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here, so it would be interesting to see what others add.

Just spoken to the electrician - he says he will be sending a certificate through in the post. I guess that is something, although I still seem a little unsure spurring off a spur! Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

It will be interesting to see how he describes it. I had electricians remove a FCU and replace it with a light switch in my house, so nothing surprises me. When I asked how the 1mm lighting cable would cope with 32A - it was changed.

A lot of sparkies seems to hire unqualified people and then check their work. Fine if they have a good understanding of what they have done, but often stuff gets missed.

kitchens are very prone to having dishwashers, microwaves, toasters, ovens and kettles in them. With luck they will not be running for long, but two or more heating at the same time will blow the fuse.

"In the post," eh.

When the kitchen is next redecorated, or before you tile it, is a good time to run a row of sockets all round the room, about 150mm above the worktop, either on your ring or a new kitchen radial. It's economical on labour because you can chase and replaster in one long line and only need to come down at the ends. Kitchens need lots of sockets and other outlets.

When the kitchen is next redecorated, or before you tile it, is a good time to run a row of sockets all round the room, about 150mm above the worktop, either on your ring or a new kitchen radial. It's economical on labour because you can chase and replaster in one long line and only need to come down at the ends. Kitchens need lots of sockets and other outlets.

Not high enough. They need to be at least 250mm above the worktop so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

so the steam and hot air can get at the plug, you mean?

The only hot air here is coming out of winston.

Where do you get the 250mm distance from?

I read it.

Where do you get the 250mm distance from?

FGS.

READ:

at least 250mm above the worktop so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

AGAIN:

so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

AND AGAIN:

so they are above kettles, toasters etc, not behind them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back