Changing my heating to something more efficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m thinking of getting a solar system but my biggest bill, by far, is my gas bill.

So, I’m looking a way to heat my water, and my home, with electric using something I can install for not too much money.

What radiators and water heater are people using?

Sponsored Links
Oil seems around the cheapest, but not much in the price of gas or oil heating, main difference is you pay for oil up front, same with LPG, but efficiency has to include production and transportation, unless that is included electric is 100% or more with heat pump efficient, but costs more for the fuel to start with.

So in the main it is not how much the heat costs, but how you control its distribution. If I turn off all but living room radiators I have 15 in all, I will clearly save money, however the hysteresis would be rather large.

With a modulating gas boiler which can turn down to 6 kW using only living room radiators is going to work better than with my oil boilers fixed at around 24 kW, as it will need to cycle all the time.

If you have a gas boiler that's working then I doubt, after you have taken everything into account, you'll get anything cheaper to run.
You need to factor into your equation the actual running costs, the capital outlay, the depreciation costs of the new equipment (it won't last for ever) and the loss of income from the original capital if you had invested it rather than spent it on buying a "cheap-to-run" so called green system.

Hi, I’m thinking of getting a solar system but my biggest bill, by far, is my gas bill.
I don't really understand the statement - unless -

So, I’m looking a way to heat my water, and my home, with electric using something I can install for not too much money.
Are you under the impression you can heat your water and home for free, once installed, with a few solar panels?

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a "Heat Pump"?
At first glance they look good 1688715775425.pngbut then you realise they need a pipe 1688715827076.pngand only seem to cool the home, not heat it. They seem to pump heat out not in. I suppose you could put the unit outside and have it pump the heat in?

So yes the heat pump is likely the most efficient way to heat/cool the home, but I would guess really not looking at how efficient but how cheap, I see no real reason why we could not have a petrol/TVO engine running a heat pump, at one point you could get a gas boiler with a sterling engine built in, but we are not really looking at efficient methods, but cheap methods.

The problem with the heat pump is in the main they want to run cooler than traditional water distributed methods of heating, so radiators either need to be bigger or fan assisted, fan assisted is likely the best as then can heat and cool, but to cool need a method to remove the condensate, so need pumps and drain pipes, which adds to the expanse.

The pipe on my tumble drier is very small, so it can be done, but there seems to be a lack of self contained heat pumps, there were at one time units that hung out the window, but not seen them in years.

The pipe on my tumble drier is very small, so it can be done, but there seems to be a lack of self contained heat pumps, there were at one time units that hung out the window, but not seen them in years.
My heat pump tumble dryer has no pipe (except the one for condensate that goes to a removable tank, and may be plumbed int a drain to save emptying the tank).

Window aircon/heat pumps are still made. https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/fri...ntrol-electric-heater-7kw-24000btu-4764-p.asp

Maximum Cooling Amperage13.2 Amps
Maximum Heating Amperage15.3 Amps
Seems odd, would have expected to be same, wonder if heating is a simple resistive heater? Is that what Electric Coil means? If so it seems using a heat pump is pointless in the winter.

It’s not going to be cheap initially but in the long run you will save a boatload of cash.

First thing I’d look at is getting an iBoost fitted with your system or retrofit if you can’t afford it off the bat.

An iBoost will manage energy directed to an emersion heater – acting like an extra battery and keeping the shower on.

After that, look at efficient, oil filled radiators.

Then look at your energy management – change your habits

We used 0 units gas last month and had limitless hot water. But we do have solar thermal panels feeding our hot water tank.

Solar is OK for heating water in the summer but useless in the winter when you need a lot of heat, I have had panels since 2015 so experienced many winters!
Oil is very good, I had that for many years, ,the great thing is you are not paying a standing charge AND you can buy your oil when you want to (by watching the price and buying low), my tank used to hold about a years worth as I supplemented it with a wood burner. Sadly having moved I now only have GCH and boy is it expensive.

Get paid for export in the summer, build up credit for winter heating?

Solar, is daytime so, simply use electric panel heaters, or oil filled ones. For water heating, it needs to be stored water - a cylinder fitted with an immersion heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back