Changing old boiler timer with a wireless thermostat - IMM24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like to swap out the old analogue timer switch, with a digital timer with wireless stat

there is no house thermostat currently in the house. if the heating is scheduled to come on, the house just keep heating and heating, until the in-line stat on the boiler itself (out in the garage) cuts it out.

there is no separate control for water/heating, it is all linked, so it sees that in the summer if you want hot water, you use the immersion or accept the heating comes on. (though I have fitted thermo valves to all rads, so I can turn them all off in the summer now, but the pipes will still heat which is a pian, but a pain I am willing to live with)

I am basically, trying to do a direct replacement. I want to take off the old timer switch, and replace with the new receiver unit. they are both basically switches in the end, so I figured it would be simple.. but no, of course its not...

in the kitchen, there is a master switch which disables the timer. a pos. and neg. wire go form the master switch socket into the timer-switch. the wires then go out the back of the timer switch to the boiler in the garage ( or at least the consumer unit in the garage which then feeds the boiler, I am not entirely sure as I can not trace the wires)

in the IMM24, the 2 red wires (one one sleeved), go from the Live-out, AND the Neutral terminals. 9the sleved red wire goes to the neutral terminal)

in the new wireless at receiver, there are 4 connectors...

NO
COM
Live
neutral

it states in the instructions, that typically, the NO is connected to the switched live in the boiler stat-loop (which I would have thought was the "sleeved red" wire previously going out the back of the IMM24), and the COM should go to live on the boiler stat-loop
(link to manual of the new wireless stat timer - http://www.salus-tech.com/cache/filelibrary/4726/library/fileLibrary/2015/10/Salus-RT500RF-.pdf)

when I connect it all up, the receiver works, turns on OK, but no power goes to the boiler.

I am sure I am doing something fundamentally wrong here. even as I type this, I am thinking it is something to do with the fact that there is a thermostat-loop on the boiler itself due to the water-temp stat. therefore, the old IMM24 was somehow linking in with that, but that s where I get confused... as the pump and boiler have a mains socket each in the garage, I can see the boiler-stat wiring, and it is a switches circuit in itself, I just can not fathom how the wiring in the back o the IMM24 fits into the whole thing...

this is the master-switch I mentioned, it sits next to the IMM24 timer switch and sends power to the timer
20160910_161901_resized.jpg

20160910_161920_resized.jpg

20160910_161934_resized.jpg

this is inside the IMM24.. see the sleeved RED wire going into the Neutral terminal....

20160910_161939_resized.jpg

this is the wiring on the boiler itself out in the garage (oil burner). below this is a zoomed out photo showing how the boiler stat wiring ties in....
20160910_173905_resized.jpg
20160910_173914_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20160910_173923_resized.jpg
    20160910_173923_resized.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
I have just rewired the old timer switch back in and it all comes on... I was worried that I had done something stupid and blown a fuse LOL

so basically... the old one has 2 red wires that come out the back of it... one sleeved and one not, that go somewhere... when the switch is set to ON, something at the end of those wires tells the boiler to do its thing...

so how on earth do I make the new unit, simulate that same activity.. this has to be easy.... LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back