Changing old central heating programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although c/h boiler replaced couple of years ago, the original Sangamo Western Timer was not (cant find any model number outside or inside) - its about 35 years (or more) old with pins that are inserted into the clock face to provide 2 on/off cycles a day and has 2 large switches that give (1) manual/off/auto and (2) heating and hot water/hot water. We have pumped c/h and gravity hot water with 1 room thermostat and no cylinder thermostat.

This timer has 8 wiring connections of which L, N, 5, 6, 1, 2 & 4 are used.

All modern timers seem to only have 6 connections.

Any ideas as to how I can connect one of these new timers?

Sponsored Links
The only way I can think of is to forget the numbers on the wiring terminals and trace back/find what each wire is connected to and controls.

Once you know this it is then a simple matter of following the new programmers wiring guide.

Use of a multimeter will be required.

you dont say if the original timer is broken.

like gas4you says i would trace it back. most of the time the experienced will know immediately what wire is for what from memory or hunch. if you dont have a multimeter just apply 240 to each wire and see what starts up.....ch or hw.

your new timer will only need hot water only (boiler feed) and heating/water simultaneously (boiler feed, valve/pump feed) and mains feed of course.

im willing to bet the old timer will have links from the mains feed to common switches for ch/hw and switched lives from them to the boiler etc. the new timer wont need the links.

mark everything before you start so it can go back together!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - managed to get it all sorted with your advice - after the initial panic it was quite straight forward!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back