changing old shower/fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1> i recently bought a mira sport termostatic 9.8kw to replace 8.5kw gainsborough which was fitted by a qualified sparky. Having done some reasearch, i believe im right in saying that a 45amp fuse would be required for the new shower?. problem is that, 45amp fuse is currently being used for the 8.5kw.im confused as i thought this should have been a 40amp fuse? does this mean i will need a fuse higher than 45amp for the new shower? 16mm wiring being used cliped onto wall (not insulated).
2> the consumer unit holds switched cartridge fuses different from what i have seen in shops so far? they have round push buttons rather than the pull down switches. are these still available and how do i change the fuse if needed?

any help/advice please.

thanks.:cool:

Sponsored Links
9800 watts is around 43 amps. Therefore a 45 amp fuse is fine.

16mm cable? This would be rare, and difficult to terminate. Are you sure it is not 10mm?

9800 watts is around 43 amps. Therefore a 45 amp fuse is fine.

16mm cable? This would be rare, and difficult to terminate. Are you sure it is not 10mm?

thank u for getting back>
the cable (white) looks almost twice as thick as 10mm so im guessing (no information along wire-run found) and it may be on the other side which is not visible. any ideas on why the 45 amp fuse is used for 8.5kw when it should be 36-40amp (8500/240)? thanks

Hold on one second... how are you determining the size of this cable?

Sponsored Links
1> i recently bought a mira sport termostatic 9.8kw to replace 8.5kw gainsborough which was fitted by a qualified sparky. Having done some reasearch, i believe im right in saying that a 45amp fuse would be required for the new shower?. problem is that, 45amp fuse is currently being used for the 8.5kw.im confused as i thought this should have been a 40amp fuse? does this mean i will need a fuse higher than 45amp for the new shower? 16mm wiring being used cliped onto wall (not insulated).
2> the consumer unit holds switched cartridge fuses different from what i have seen in shops so far? they have round push buttons rather than the pull down switches. are these still available and how do i change the fuse if needed?

any help/advice please.

thanks.:cool:
You are writing in the past and present tense.Has this shower been fitted or not.If it has then your 'qualified sparky' should have fitted the correct protective device/cable and notified the relevant body for you.

A 45amp fuse in place of a 40amp is not a crime if the cable is selected correctly.

Cable sizes are square millimeters - not dimensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back