Shower Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to replace our existing shower, as it's about had it. Currently running a Triton Jade II 8.5kw.

Our current shower is connected with a 45amp (cartridge fuse) and 6mm wiring.

Can anyone please advise if we are able to go upto 9.5kw with existing setup as we would like to upgrade shower to either 9 or 9.5kw with the current fuse/wiring.

I have read on interent that we can and then anything above ie 9.8kw etc would need 10mm wiring.

Any guidance appreciated.

many thanks
:D

Sponsored Links
Could you confirm the distance between the main fuse and the shower in metres, could you also confirm if the cable is surface clipped, hidden under plaster, run inside cavity / stud wall or if it's contained in trunking or conduit.

This will allow for cable calcs to confirm cable load.

I would also suggest that the circuit is updated with an RCD to offer the best protection against faults.

CPSP1.JPG

Could you confirm the distance between the main fuse and the shower in metres, could you also confirm if the cable is surface clipped, hidden under plaster, run inside cavity / stud wall or if it's contained in trunking or conduit.

Or ran in thermal insulation anywhere ?

Sponsored Links
6mm² is rated at 34A with Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness).
This drops to 27A for Reference Method 101# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation exceeding 100 mm in thickness).
And drops even further to 23.5A with Reference Method 103# (in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable not touching the inner wall surface).

However that is for normal PVC cable thermoplastic with XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) or LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen) or Ali-tube cables the rating can be higher as there working temperatures are 90ºC where as normal cable is limited to 70ºC assuming of course the extra heat will not damage what it is clipped to? So 6mm² could be rated at 58A if one of the 90ºC cables and using Reference Method C (Clipped direct) although unlikely this would be the case.

8.5Kw will draw 37A with 9Kw drawing 39A and 9.5Kw will draw 41.3A so the 45A fuse would allow the larger sizes. However it is unlikely it should have been fitted with 45A fuse in first place and unless you are fitting like for like some professional testing will be required. Either by informing the council and paying their fees and DIY in which case they will test it. Or by employing a registered electrician.

Either way they are likely to fail it unless a RCD like Chri5 has shown is fitted, so unlikely that you can upgrade shower size with existing cable.

However neither would I use a shower without RCD protection so I would consider your best option would be to engage a registered electrician to complete the work in a safe manor?

Or ran in thermal insulation anywhere ?

Run or ran :LOL:

Sorry= forgot the insulation, OP just tell us the complete end to end route and all the observations for the route.

Ok, I've come to my senses. I shall indeed seek a sparky to make showering a safe experience :D Many thanks everyone for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back