Fuse box to shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Just got a qualified sparky to wire my new shower , I have an old fuse box rated 60amp I think , Is it ok to make move in the old fuse box by putting two light fuses into the same fuse , thus freeing up a fuse , then fitting a 45amp fuse , and wiring the shower , seems a strange way to do it , I thought you needed a separate box or a new unit 100amp . Who am to question the qualified ? . :!:

Sponsored Links
if you mean he put two circuits (lights) into one then so long as it draws no more than 5 amps yes it is ok. its just a pain when it goes because all the lights go, which is why it is not done.

Also as he is putting in a shower it should be connected as close as possible to the main switch, NOT at the other end

for example

lights down, lights up, sockets, sockets kitchen, shower, main switch

the above is ok, but it should not be the other way round

Question , If I turn my cooker on , shower on full all the lights and stick a few leccy fires on the old fuse box put in 30 years ago will handle it , 10.8k shower , hey will find out soon haha .

Sponsored Links
ideally if you still have a FUSE box it should be changed to a more modern "version" with an RCD and mcb's (but its not my money)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back