Changing pitched roof to flat - PD or PP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
In general, would changing from a pitched roof to a flat roof require planning permission or could it be done under PD? Thinking here is to effectively open the roof out like an inverted book, keeping the ridge line the same height or maybe even a bit lower and bringing the eaves up to the same height. I'm not sure whether this counts as "raising the roof" under PD rules or not, given that the ultimate height of the whole will be the same as the ridge height of the existing. It's on a detached garage 30m away from the house, we're hoping to put a home office in the loft.

Sponsored Links
That’s an interesting idea, do You have rendered walls - I would think extending brickwork wouldn’t look very good, it would be difficult to match.

Im not sure if it falls outside PD rules, I’d be interested to know what the architects on here think.

It's a mix of brick and block. Side facing the road is brick, side facing the garden is block. No render. Bricks are London Heather so readily available

Sponsored Links
Height is usually defined for both ridge height and eaves height so id be very surprised if you can just raise the eaves height massively without any sort of planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back