Changing radiator tailpiece question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
bit of a basic question this one. I bought a new radiator to swap for an older one. I thought it would be pretty simple - disconnect old from valves, drain, hang new one and reconnect. But now that I have the new radiator I see that it's not come with any connections to screw the valves onto it. It just has plastic plugs in the four corners (but does have the top bleed valve / plugs for me to fit).

I checked the how to section here and it mentions reusing the tailpieces off the old radiator. One seems to have a nut so I could probably get it off, but the other seems smooth. Could anyone give a bit more advice on how I could get these off to re-use or point me somewhere where I can buy new ones (as a quick google has drawn a blank for me).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The inserts come with the valves.

If you a reusing the old valves you need to remove the originals from you old rad.

Have fun with that :LOL:

The tail pieces often need a hex key to turn them from the inside.

The hex key is 12.71 mm

Tony

Sponsored Links
They are actually 1/2" AF !

But of course we measure everything in mm now that we are metricated!

When I joined the BBC they were already metricated as a responsible public body.

Well I'm not metricated. I'm English and proud of it!

Actually its a pain in the neck at work because 95% of motors are metric so not many people have imperial spanners so mine tend to go walkabout.

If you bought a new pair of valves they will come with tails for the rad.

Talking of imperial/metric, is the new rad a direct equivalent, size wise, of the old? Metric sized rads ae more often than not a different length than imperial. Your 'old' rad might be imperial.

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I am planning on keeping the old valves, they are in good condition - the TRV is only about a year old (the previous one replaced after a leak, by a proper plumber!). Also I have managed to get the same size radiator - it's double rather than single, but the pipework has a lot of free movement to change it.

I managed to buy an appropriate hex key - or "radiator spanner" as it was labelled which was probably why my googling came up blank - so I'll be able to do this work this weekend. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back