changing renault clio car battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to change the battery on my renault clio (1997R). Problem is my current battery has a sort of fixing on the battery terminal posts.

The cables have metallic loops on them so that they can be screwed down securely onto the fixings on the battery terminals.

I need to transfer the fixings from the old battery to the new. They seem very tight. If anyone is familiar with these fixings can you advise how they can be removed from my old battery. Do I need a special tool?

Sponsored Links
Hello Ben
Are you sure that the terminals that you see aren't just the typical quick release ones, that disengage from the battery posts when you flip one end up? The Clio battery is just a standard one.....
Post a pic if you're still unsure.
John :)

Hi John

I have uploaded some pics to my album Clio.

Regards

Ben

Hello Ben
What we see here is the typical quick release terminal as used by Renault....basically it is a claw device that clamps onto the battery post when it is tightened. The one that has the bolt poking upwards has the handwheel 'nut' missing.
If you go to a motor factors you can buy the correct battery terminals (the + and - posts are different sizes) and you can connect the original cables to them....you cut the old terminals off, bare the insulation away and secure the wire in place with the screws on the new terminals.
If you buy the commercial size, the battery posts are the same, but the grip to secure the cables with is bigger. This is useful if you have more than one cable to fix into the terminal.
John :)

Sponsored Links
....Or get a pair of terminals similar to the manufacturers original.

To release the +ve terminal from the old battery, lever the outer shroud below the hollow bolt up. This releases the claws gripping the battery post - puling on the bolt just clamps the jaws tighter onto the terminal.

I prefer these French connectors to the ones commonly used in the UK. They make a much easier job of disconnecting or reconnecting a battery, with no chance of shorting it out with a spanner. The hollow bolts on the terminals provides a convenient connection for a charger or meter with a simple plug, so no 'live' croc. clips to contend with, and unscrewing the -ve wing nut a couple of turns effectively isolates the battery.

Thanks for the info. I prised the terminals off using a screwdriver but unfortunately they broke so I will buy new terminals and screw the cables on. Renault dont sell the screw down terminals any more.

Back