Changing Soil Boss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need to change or replace the soil stack boss on one of the soil pipes to the house.

Basically the existing waste pipe is 32mm solvent weld (36mm o/d) and only serves a single wash basin in the downstairs loo and the condensate for the boiler. I need to change the waste for a new pipe as we are changing the sink in the loo and it's too high, plus one of the joints leaks.

The eventual plan is to convert part of the garage (where the pipe runs) into a utility room at some point so it makes sense to change this for a 40mm pipe now. The problem is that the boss connection is a 32mm solvent welded reducer so needs to be changed.

Two questions, based on the pic, is there enough space to cut and strap a new boss? Space is about 75mm. Obviously space available is less than existing strap boss but is a shorter type available?

If not, could I run in 40mm pipe but connect on to the cut end of the existing 32mm just as it goes to the stack? Appreciate this will cause some backing up but it would be much easier and I could minimise this as much as possible.

Eventually the pipe would serve a washbasin, tumbler dryer, washing machine, sink and boiler condensate. I doubt all of these would be on at one go but all of these could spew out a fair bit of waste.

Any help much appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
How much "too high" is it?

Could you take the 32mm boss off then put the 40mm boss overlapping the old hole but lower than currently. Obviously you need a bigger hole anyway so just make the existing hole bigger, going downwards only. That might only gain you a small amount so it really depends how much lower it needs to be.

Sorry might have been misunderstood.

The boss isn't too high, that's one of the pipes inside. The boss is fine where it is, it's just the wrong size.

Can you move a solvent weld boss without it breaking the pipe?

Thanks

Alan

Ahh I see.

Have a go and see is the best I can say. If they didn't use much solvent weld then it's possible. The strap at the back hopefully hasn't been glued, just the front bit with any luck.

Sponsored Links
Solvent weld actually melts the plastic to bond it so unless it was put together really badly, it probably won't come apart cleanly.

Wouldn't risk 32mm anywhere, that pipe size is really only good for a single basin. I'd even be tempted to go to 50mm given what you're planning to be putting onto that waste.

It may take cutting that section out and popping in one of these -

110mm-triple-boss-single-socket-pipe-5264-p[ekm]335x335[ekm].jpg

in black of course :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back