Changing surnames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it tradition for a woman to change her surname when she marries?

Should women still do it today?

Sponsored Links
so the kids know who there ma.and da is :LOL: :LOL: hear is my son j.smith and his brother j.brown and his sister j black and her sister j green and so on :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Of course it is fine for women to retain their single name for business purposes. When there are chldren, then I think the family unit should share the same name. It is all very free and easy now, but things tend to go full cycle and you can bet that the overly liberal now will have saddled the future generation with some embarrassing stigmatism.

I mean, why does it have to be women who change their surname, not men?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to be women who change their name it's just traditional.

Because lots of mums don't marry the dad, the kids can get confused as to who dad really is.
Loads of them in my old area used to get DNA checks done so that they knew who to send the Fathers Day Card to.
:LOL: :LOL:
dave

I mean, why does it have to be women who change their surname, not men?
Because it keeps a check on the feminists. Be very wary of a woman in a tank top or with a double barrelled name. :eek:

A lot of women in America use their maiden name and their husband's name to make a double barrelled name for themselves. I have heard of a woman with a four barrel name although she only uses the last two names in general conversation leaving her maiden name out of it.

Is that why Elizabeth Taylor gave up the film business? Cost too much in film for the credits. ;)

Of course it is fine for women to retain their single name for business purposes. When there are chldren, then I think the family unit should share the same name. It is all very free and easy now, but things tend to go full cycle and you can bet that the overly liberal now will have saddled the future generation with some embarrassing stigmatism.
Why?..

It doesn't seem to be a problem in Iceland..

Getting a woman to change her name just because she's getting married is akin to a sign of 'ownership'!..

Rather than stigmatism, it means less discrimination to kids born 'out of wedlock'..because nobody knows without being told!

Plus you can choose your kid's 'surname', thus avoiding any embarrassing ones!..or for those living abroad, 'surnames' can be different in both countries giving a choice when the kids become 18..or you can give all your kids the same second name which can be adopted as a 'surname' later on..

(btw - I'm married to an Icelander - so have 'ticked' all of the above... ;) )

you could always used the old red indian way of naming kids like full moon maddog or two dogs shagg### :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back