Changing tap washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...yes really!

I've done this before, I'm not a complete novice...

However, after I've taken the cap off the tap, and removed the small screw in the top, nothing moves. I believe I should just be able to take the tap head away to expose the insides... but it's stuck firm.

Am I missing something? Do I wrench it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get some WD40 in there, leave it a while and it should come free......some reckon that pouring boiling water on first helps to make things expand.
This is assuming that the tap top hasn't got a screwed on bezel, of course - only a pic would help us identify this type.
John :)

Here's a quick picture, if I've done it right.

Does the top part come off separately from the lower part?

Sponsored Links
try pouring boiling then cold water over it, it doesnt work every time but it can loosen the head enough to get it off

Yep, that crossed head pulls off (eventually) and the bezel below it will be screwed in place.
Wrap the bezel with masking tape to prevent damage if you reach for the pliers....

Right, this problem is more complex than I originally thought.

Firstly, I couldn't change the washer... there was a small screw holding it in place, and as soon as I put a screwdriver to it, it corroded into nothing. So there's no way the washer is coming out. Anyway, it looked in absolutely perfect condition.

The problem I have, is that barely no water is coming out of the taps. The cold tap has been like it for some time, and now the hot tap has done the same thing. I turn the tap on, and the water dribbles out.

Now I know the pressure to the taps is fine, so what would cause this? Is it just a case of cheap rubbish taps which need replacing?

Before you junk the entire set up, B&Q do replacement tap heads that look very similar, if you're interested. Just fitted a pair for someone last week.

Oh right, you mean the whole inside section, with the washer and everything?

Do you think this would solve the issue?

Yep, thats basically it....out with the old tap insert, and in with the new.
I've fitted quite a few in my time, and can't remember any particular problems apart from one bath tap which was an oddball size.
Obviously I can't speak for your situation though!
If you do go for these, turn them on before you screw them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back