Changing the Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this question doesnt fit this area.

I want to replace the light fitting in my kitchen. On removing the old fitting I see the plaster around the hole from which the live/neutral wires come isnt too firm. This is making it difficult to fit the bracket for the new fitting.

I thought I could fit a small plate of sufficient size which will reach to better plaster and allow it to be fitted securely. Drilling a hole in the middle of the plate will allow the electrical cables through for connection to the new light. The new light fitting bracket can then be secured to the plate and the light fitted. The job can be finished with a bit of paint on the plate.

Is this the best way to do this? Can I buy a small plate (wooden?) from B&Q etc? Is there an alternative method?

Thanks and grateful for your help on this.

Sponsored Links
If this is a pre-war house (lath and plaster) you may be able to fix to a lath.

There may be a noggin or joist nearby to fix to. You may be able to fit a noggin by lifting a floorboard.

Are you fixing to old lath and plaster, or newer plasterboard?

Spring toggles can provide a reasonable fixing, but not if the ceiling is as crumbly as you suggest.

In answer to the original question, yes you can get something at B&Q.
They do small wooden decorative plates for fixing bannisters onto the wall.

Sponsored Links
If this is a pre-war house (lath and plaster) you may be able to fix to a lath.

There may be a noggin or joist nearby to fix to. You may be able to fit a noggin by lifting a floorboard.

Are you fixing to old lath and plaster, or newer plasterboard?

Spring toggles can provide a reasonable fixing, but not if the ceiling is as crumbly as you suggest.

It isnt a pre-war house. 1970's maybe? I presume its plasterboard, not sure.

How heavy is the light fitting?

Unsure of the weight as the package doesnt giv details. It is made of tube steel with 4 small downlights attached.

Sorry to be so lacking in detail :oops:

Thanks for your help.

In answer to the original question, yes you can get something at B&Q.
They do small wooden decorative plates for fixing bannisters onto the wall.

Thank you for your help.

I think this may be the best way to proceed. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back