changing the transformer on a led rope light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would like to change the transformer on my led rope lights,as the one at the moment as different light sequences,and i just want it to turn on,nothing else

its 6 metres,,power supply on the packaging says 230v.50hz 9.2v, output is2x0.30a

i was thinking of using this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66599...-to-12V-350mA-9W-LED-Const-Current-Controller
any advice or suggestion on how to go about this please

thanks

Sponsored Links
probably nothing wrong with the transformer you have.

The transformer supplies power to operate the LEDs, it does not change their sequence, so changing it would be a waste of time.

Also the transformer you have linked to is not suitable

read what you have written and the spc of the transformer you linked to. not the same are they?

either keep your light as it is, or bin it and buy a non flashing one

cheers for that,dont matter now,looked on net i found this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153562.html

cheaper than buying a new one,gets rid of the sequence switch which i dont want ,

the switch for the sequencesis hidden,its part of my av set up,and i dont want to pull it out all the time just to get the right one each time i put it on,

cheers

Sponsored Links
i guess not then, i persumed as it for a led rope light it will be fine,think i best wait for other suitable way or rinfg the company to see if they have ought

cheers for that,no bangs at least

actually i dont think it will go bang.

please notice the "lump" after the plug.

HOWEVER just because it says its for LED's and you have LED's still does not mean to say it will work. it depends on the configuration of the LED's you have.

wese, you will kick yourself when i tell you this, if you had of looked a bit more on the TLC site you would have found they have just what you want, and it uses the lead you just mentioned. clicky

I should also point out other suppliers of LED rope lights are available (try disco light suppliers)

Lamp rope lights have been out for 30+ years that I know of

its a long story buddy, i orginally had oridinary rope light,which went faulty,lost the receipt,so no exchange or refund, 25 quid down the drain,got the led ones as they run cooler,bulbs last longer,and i got em for a tenner,plug as well,bargain i thought,and it is compared to tlc price

but like i said,only downside is where the switch is,just arkward,hence why trying to get round this,if possible

i could live with pulling it out,as its only once a day it will be turned on,at night of course lol,but hey,anything for a easy life :LOL:

cheers

breezer ill use the missus,save me a couple of quid lol,thats not the problem really though,i have easy access to turn everything of,

on the box where the power is stepped down,there is a button,which you press to alternate between 8 different patterns of light,flashing,chasing etc,

this is what is arkward to get to,and i have to press it till i get it to just stay on as a normal light,no flashing etc,

so i just wanted to get rid of the whole power unit,sequence button for just a step down transformer ,

cheers

i did figure that is what you wanted, since it is how most are done. but like i said it depends on how the LED's are configured.

I would still opt to buy a non flashing LED rope light

actually i dont think it will go bang.

please notice the "lump" after the plug.
Don't think there's anything in it though (maybe a ferrite bead), it just feels like a lump of plastic, no hollow-ness to it. But either way, the product linked to is for use with 230v rope lights (just put a load of them away this afternoon - purchased from tlc)

If you're just after a static colour wash, ikea do some LED strips ideal for the job (or used to).
Edit: seems they don't do them anymore :(

option to buy a non flashing LED rope light looks like the easiest way i guess, rather than messing and guessing with electrics,

cheers all for the input though

FourFootMedia i know of the led stips at ikea, i have some,but not suitable,need 6m to go round a floating wall,

cheers again

Just thought I'd post a note on this old thread because I wanted to clarify some of the points mentioned above. There generally aren't transformers connected to these 230vac 50hz LED rope lights in the first place. Don't confuse these rope lights with the cheaper string lights - you might cause some fireworks otherwise (not sure if the original poster had 230vac lights or had a transformer in line) If they were 9.2volts as the packaging mentioned that might be a problem.

The 230vac, 50hz models are mains connected with a simple sequencer box for the light patterns and then the lights themselves (there is generally a small coil of copper, but nothing to write home about). You can cut off the power cable and attach a plug directly to the lights just like any consumer light. If you think about it logically, when you connect a 60 watt bulb into a lighting circuit you are just connecting a bulb into that circuit, there isn't a transformer and these work on that very same principle.

On my particular lights there is a note saying 'do not connect earth if wiring into a plug' which I take to mean that since there is no earth, connecting this up will just create an earth leak and blow your fuse. I tested this theory. Without earth connected - lights worked fine but with the earth connected it caused my fuse to switch off.

I cut my box off because I assumed I had a problem with the sequencer which I didn't want in the first place. This allowed me to discover that I had a break in the cable. To fix the rope light just try and determine where the break is by twisting etc. Once you know where the break is slice along the cord not across - just about 2 inches. You should be able to pull the cable out - splice and repair the break with a soldering iron, then push it back into the plastic sheath, and using the same soldering iron seal up the break by melting the plastic on the inside then smoothing it cleanly on the outside. It should seal it suitably.

Hope this helps anyone else in this situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back